Tofo or Barra?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrrworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Going to Moz in March. Is there any difference in staying in Barra vs Tofo. I keep reading the boat ride is longer from Tofo but how much longer are we talking. 5 minutes? 1 Hour? Any other difference between the two areas. Thanks. Michael

Tofo is definitely closer to Manta Reef and some of the better reefs in the area. The only advantage to Barra that I can see is that it's closer to Amazon and Office Reefs.

I'm going back there in April/May - Morrungulo first and then Tofo.

I would deinately dive from Tofo, they are closer to a lot of the reefs, lots of accommodation of all prices in town. Have a look at Tofo Scuba, (www.tofoscuba.co.za) best boats and equipment, generally the most professional dive centre in the area.
have a blast.
Ryan

Depends on what sites, as stated. Tofo is closer to Manta Reef and Giant's Castle, but Barra is closer to Amazon and Office. Those are some of the best dives in the area.

Tofo scuba is a good dive center. But they tend to have too large groups on their boats inmo. I have no experience from the others, but if I was going back I'd do a check to see if any of them offer diving in smaller groups – I'd be prepared to pay extra for that. There are no high end places in Tofo, I believe there is in Barra if that is what you're looking for. Casa Barry (don't confuse this with the location Barra) in Tofo has been the most popular alternative among divers, much because Tofo Scuba used to be located on their premises. They moved in november 06 and are now located on the other side of the village/beach.

cheers

Christian

Thanks. This is a great help. I am leaning towards Tofo, just waiting for some quotes. Funny about the boats. One thing I told the agent was I'd be prepared to pay extra for a smaller boat. We'll see what they come back with. Any idea what its like there in March. I've never been and I've never lived in Africa before just recently moving to Botswana.

Before you decide on accomodation pleeeze ask here first - I have quite a few friends who have stayed in Tofo and there are some places that aren't as good as others.The best I have seen are the cabins at Cassa Barry, Tofo - avoid the Casitas there.

Thanks for the offer. So far, the agent has only mentioned Barra Lodge but thats in Barra and Casa Barry but I have not seen any prices. Both looked fine on their websites. With Casa Barry, since I am only traveling with my girlfriend, I didn't think the cabins would be an option. They mentioned something about brick vs reed casitas.

They have 4 and 6 sleeper cabins at Cassa Barry , Tofo.

Christian has stayed there more recently than I have so he will be able to advise you better.

I have just received a pricelist from Casa Barry, will send it to you if you PM me your e-mail

Back
Top Bottom