Diving In Mafia Island_Tanzania

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I just came back from a diving holiday in Mafia Island where I stayed at the Mafia Lodge and did scuba diving with their diving centre.

For the first few days everything was fine, then once we went diving outside the reef where the see was really rough. Two of us were really scared but the diving master didn't care and we went diving anyway. After 40 mins of diving we come back to the surface but the boat was not there anymore: it was sunk due to the strong waves!

The crew was able to put themselves safe and we swam through the pass to get inside the reef.

After 2 hours of swimming a boat from another diving came to pick us up. Terrible experience!
We were really close to be crushed to on the reef!!

A diving centre should not be leaded by unprofessional and local guide without any supervision from professional divers!

Mafia is a perfect island if you want to dive and diving experience are fantastic. But be careful of which diving centre you choose. Apparently there is only one independent (not connected to any lodge) diving centre and it seems to be very good and leaded by professional divers: this diving centre saved us! Thanks!

Dan

I would like to hear more about diving, snorkling and whale shark trips in Mafia Island.
We are going there next February.
Thanks!

Interesting experience. Glad you were safe
I believe Dan is referring to my friend Mario who runs
BIG BLU and truly Mario is a professional let alone the fact that is the only person on the island capable or servicing scuba
I also recommend his operation to anyone that just wants to experience snorkeling with Whale Sharks in Mafia, Mario was in fact the first person who spotted those sharks from the propeller plane and has started the whale shark trips before others even had any idea about it

Glad to hear that everything went for the better. It was 2007, I have been recently in Mafia Island for a holiday this year and I had the chance to find out that management is completely changed. The dive center of Mafia Lodge has a new manager, new team and new boats. I found the diving with them well organized and safe. I believe also at Big Blu they have a new managment and even Mario is no much there anymore.

Paolo.

Hello everybody,

i am sorry disturb you about this issue!

I am Mario , boss of Big Blu diving center, i never left Mafia ! I don't know where Paolo (pviberti) found informations about
new Big Blu management and safe dive in Mafia!

Thanks everybody

mario@bigblumafia.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom