Tofo, Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerome01

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Managed to fit in 3 days of amazing diving in Tofo, Mozambique, before going on to Maputo for work.

I stayed at Casa Barry (www.casabarry.com) which has very nice rooms, hot water etc, and good food at the restaurant (very, very slow service!). 10 mins walk along the beach from the village, plenty of hangouts and a nice little market. Price was U$70 per night for a single occupancy. No need for breakfast since I left to dive every day before 7:00 AM.

Diving with Tofo Scuba (::.. Tofo Scuba ..:: - Home) was fantastic, great people and boats. I bought my own, but the rental gear looks great. Diving profiles are aggresive and rewarding. Everything that you imagine is there, Mantas, whale sharks, Devil rays, huge morays, white tip reef sharks. And at the same time fantastic macro life forms, Nudibranches, shrimp, corals etc. Dived at Manta Reef, Office, Hogwarts, Giants, Sherwood, all fantastic and special in their own way. Currents are strong and negative, fast descents are the order of the day. 6 dive package works out at about U$45 a dive.

Food at TofoScuba is very good and well priced. Dino's pizza is great and don't forget to hang out at Fatima's Nest with the backpackers ($3 a night for camping up to $10 for a cabin).

Check out pics and video

Picasa Web Albums - Jerome - Tofo, Mozambi...

YouTube - Diving in Tofo, Mozambique. May 2008

enjoy

Jerome Fink

Aquatica.co.il

Greaqt pics Jerome !!!

Your experience there is exactly why I recommend Tofo for a great MoZambique trip !

Spot on Jerome! We just came back from Mozambique, 7 days Vilanculos and 3 days Tofu.
We also stayed at Casa Barry and dived with Tofu Scuba, and I can concur diving was fantastic and Tofu Scuba are great people to dive with! Special thanks to AndyT for recomming Tofu Scuba to us and all the helpful tips he gave me!

Judging by your photo's it looks like you had a bit better visibility then we had!

I'll try and post a trip report with photo's next week about Vilanculos - took loads of pics with my new G9.

I'm really keen on seeing the Vilanculos stuff - never been there myself, could be a future option.

Interesting, that you didn't need breakfast because you left early??? Personally, I was quite irritated on the fact that they couldn't offer their guests anything to eat in the early morning, so we had to go out on a long two tank dive on empty stomachs. I'm surprised that they haven't solved this yet as it is rather bad service.
Tofo Scuba was ok inmo, probably the best DC at the moment in the area, but there was a bit too much 'rock star syndrom' on the sometimes too young and fairly inexperienced european dive guides at the time of my visit. It resulted in too much hand holding which actually spoiled some of the fun.

/christian

I still prefere Guinjata Bay far more professional than the rest and they are basicaly in the same area
Safe Diving
John

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get to the Tofo beach area in July of 2009? We would be coming from Nairobi, Kenya. I tried looking for flights into Inhambane from Johannesburg or Maputo, but had no luck finding any flights. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Try Pelican Air. Otherwise hang on a bit, I'm seeing a friend of mine this morning, he is going there at the end of April - will find out for you and post later today. The flights have gotten expensive - around ZAR 4700 !!!

Back
Top Bottom