Trip Report: Seychelles/Aldabra_May08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harry Kreigh

Registered
Reaction score
Here is my trip report for the Indian Ocean Explorer. I was generally disappointed with the boat and diving in the Seychelles. It is a very expensive trip that requires extensive travel from the US. The Maldives is probably a better choice for diving in that region.

Attachments

• Seychelles Trip Report_May 2008.doc
    44 KB · Views: 228
Thanks for the report Harry! We've been considdering going to the Seychelles, but even from here in London it is very expensive to get there. I was wondering if would be worth it to go, since going to the Maldives is a cheaper option. You've just my our descision much easier.

Thanks for posting this - info on the Seychelles is not always easy to come by.

Thank's for the report Harry. Haven't been to the Seychelles, but everything I have heard points in the same direction as your report: there are better and cheaper destinations if you want good divivng in the Indian Ocean. Allthough I thought Aldabra should be the exception from more mediocre diving in the Seychelles region.

christian

Very accurate report. I had same experience with IOE in 2005. Bathrooms leaked and smelled. Diving was nothing special. Divemasters were not interested.

Too expensive and too far for the diving you get.

Harry,

Thanks for the detailed trip report. I always wondered but diving would be like there. Now I know to spend my money going elsewhere.

Harry;
Thanks for the excellent trip report. I will be doing the area with the new National Geographic/Lindblad ship next month (March 09) and will try to do a follow-up report here. The ship is a different kettle of fish entirely from the IOE and will also be in the Comoros.

Very detailed report, thanks.
Never been to the Seychelles, but I can testify this part is very accurate :

"Before reaching Paris, the train stopped and everyone got off. It seems that there was a transportation strike that disrupted normal schedules (...) All in all, it took me almost 2 hours to reach the Eiffel Tower (...) So much for the most efficient public transportation system in Europe!"
LMAO, this is so true. The métro system works great, but the RER is a PITA. Always a strike or something out of order.

Thranx - can we have your report now? I am so dissapointed to find so little positive re Seychelles as I have been diving there several times in the past and always found really beautiful (mostly around La Digue and Praslin) but have not been there for 7 years. Have just booked a trip for October

Last edited:
Houtbaydiver;
I'm afraid Harry's report from a year ago was pretty accurate. In April dove in the Farquahar, Amirantes, and Alphonse groups in addition to the inner islands. With one notable exception (in the Alphonse Group) the diving, for an experienced diver, simply sucked. No fish longer than a meter, heavy bleaching, strong cyclone damage in the south. Extremely disappointing.
One divemaster from Praslin told of watching local fishermen take 85 sharks in one day (I myself didn't see a single shark in the inner islands and only three on the entire trip) and said, "They're killing my livelihood". The islands and beaches are still exquisite, but as far as diving goes...I dove one of the Marine National Parks on Mahe and saw practically nothing. Enjoy your visit, but don't expect much from the diving. I expect you'd be better off in the Bazarutos, Maldives, or even Sodwana Bay. At least there's some protection in those areas.
The same lack of large fish was also glaringly evident in the French Comoros and off the northern tip of Madagascar. The whole western Indian Ocean is being fished out.
We didn't get to Aldabra because the Indian Ocean Explorer was hijacked the same day we were supposed to be there (dodged a bullet, we did). Our local Seychellois guide insists the diving there (protection, remember) is still great...but try getting to the atoll now.
Sad.

Back
Top Bottom