Looking for a DC in Vilanculos, Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be in Vilanculos Mozambique in December and am looking for a dive centre

only found one and it seems a bit expensive.

Any input would be great

Thanks. I had a look at the report already.

Was hoping there may be other dive centers out there besides Odysea. They are not cheap. Price of double tank is steep. For that price i do 5dives in sodwana. Just would be a total shame to go all the way there and not dive

My folks have booked a holiday house there for december. Tagging along with them. So Vilanculos is only choice. Got a car so moving around shouldnt be an issue. Anything else maybe in the area?

As to why its so expensive. Who knows.

I think Barra reef and Guinjata Bay is the mecca of diving in Mozambique but it's probably a good 200km from Vilanculos so that's probably of no help. I guess it's just a matter of finding the correct dive operator up there because I have absolutely no doubt that the reefs and diving near Vilanculos will be exquisite.

The one we use here most is Odyssey Dive – great team.
We were also sending our guests quite often to Big Blue – fantastic, but they have just sold so not sure what is going on there. They do have a great new website though.

As to why its so expensive. Who knows.

because it's far from south Africa, where you have to go to get all the gear you need.
because the reefs are far from Vilanculos (about 45 minutes by speed boat).
because they would dive even for 3 or 4 people.

That said, I found that it was not excessively expensive compared to Tofo, where reefs are closer and boats often full and the prices of double tank dives only 10 or 15% cheaper... and worth diving in Vilanculos, where the reefs are more varied, less dived and multi-level, allowing 60-70 minutes dives (compared with the 35 minutes dives you do in Tofo)

But diving is indeed expensive in Mozambique, compared to South Africa.

I do not agree penti at Guinjata Resort for example you can do a manta dive for ZAR 290 including air fill dives in S.A. cost are from ZAR 250 to ZAR 1,000 depending on the species you want to view

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom