Great White Shark Breaching in South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

occrider

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I want to do a great white shark cage dive while I'm in South Africa, but I would also like to do it in an area where I have a chance to see a great white shark breach. From my understanding, the sharks breach in the Mossel Bay area near seal island. Do they also breach in the Gaansbaai area or False Bay area as well? Thanks!

Hi Occrider,
Although you stand a chance of seeing the natural predation and breaching, this behavior mostly takes place in the early morning excursionS. Meet crew at Simons Town Pier.
Guests are welcomed aboard and a full safety and weather briefing is given before departure.
Depart for Seal Island. (25 to 35 minute boat ride)

The best spot to anchor up based on weather conditions is decided and we attract sharks to our vessel. Once a shark approaches our boat a small bait is put in the water to keep the sharks interested around the boat for identification and viewing purposes. At no point are the sharks purposefully fed or handled. We do not use shark livers or any other attractants that have a negative impact on the environment and every effort is made to avoid the sharks coming into contact with our vessel.

If the weather conditions are favourable, i.e. good visibility and workable seas, the cage is lowered into the water for cage diving.
Safety precautions and operational procedures are then explained to the diver wishing to enter the cage. It is important to know that the sharks come very close to the boat so it is not necessary to dive in order to see them. So for those not wishing to dive they will still have excellent views of the Great White Shark.

If you would like to book for this please send me a mail at lorraine@toptravelafrica.com.
I can also help you with all other bookings in SA and it cost you no more. A full can to meet your requirements can be put togehter, have you also thought of trying crocodile cage diving a new concept in SA. Send me a mail and will give you more info on this as well.

The False Bay area is pretty renowned - Travel Gurls post pretty much sums it up. For an idea you might want to look at ultimate-animals dot com, or apexpredators dot com, both of whom go out to Seal Island

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom