Diving in Mauritius?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi - I'm taking a trip to Mauritius March 21-April 2nd. We have plenty of time for diving. Can anyone recommend the best dive company or particular sites for open water divers?

Thanks!
Rebecca

It depends where on the island you will be Rebecca. I have dived there quite a lot, mostly for commercial work, but done a bit of recreational diving as well.

Although its a small Island, there are quite a few differant areas for diving and unless you intend hiring a car travel by the local transportation system is a bit of a hit and miss affair - if you do use it, throw away your watch - it dosnt work in Mauritius.!:D

Anyway, I will assume its Grand Bay as this is the most popular tourist area and definately the best diving area.
All of the big hotels have affiliations to dive operators, getting into the water is no problem, just enquire at reception. There are also a few operators who just sort of sign you on from the beach, its quite acceptable but I found the operators with hotel affiliation to be somewhat more professional.

The diving is typically close to shore so dont expect long boat rides, shore diving is a waste of time, in my opinion dont even bother. Some of the more interesting sites I dived were Black Forest and Coral gardens, both are reletively deep, around 35 metres and 25 metres respectively, but I found the shallow dives boring and the reefs in poor condition.

Diving is fairly expensive in Mauritius, ranging from around 40.00 to 60.00 Euros for a single tank dive (depending on location and season) - Try and do the deeper reefs and I would avoid the wrecks, they are usually small fishing boats dropped in a sea of sand, I swam around the one I visited in 5 minutes and was bored to tears in 10. :wink:

Hope this helps, have fun, its a great little Island to visit and you will be there in peak summer - take lots of sunscreen.!

Hi,

As a "neighbour" I've been to Mauritius 5 times in 3 years.
best dive op ? Dive Dream (Dive Dream Diving Center in Mauritius) in Trou aux Biches, in the north-west near Grand Baie. Friendly and pro, within minutes you'll feel at home. They also have very nice, brand new accommodation.

Regarding the best sites, I do recommand the wrecks (Emily & Water Lily, Stella Maru) and the other dives are also quite varied, with reef dives in coral gardens as well as other sites with rock boulders and gorgonian valleys...

a few pictures (more to come soon as i'm just back from there) :Picasa Albums Web - Penti

Back
Top Bottom