Where to dive in Mozambique?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ramez18

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning a trip for my fiance and myself to Mozambique in late July and I can't decide where to stay. I've been looking into Tofo and Barra. We're hoping to see mantas and whale sharks, humpbacks would be great too. Neither of us has been to Moz before so we're not too familiar with the area. Are we better off in Tofo or Barra? Or is there another area that's better? We're not looking for luxury, just a good location at secure lodge close to the good diving. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

For accomodation try Cassa Barry in Tofo - the cabins, not the Casitas. I usually dive with Tofo Scuba.

Hi There

Moz is brilliant for diving, but be carefull of the operator you use...I would not recommend Tofo Scuba, they have loads of international guest's going through there however they treat their guest's very badly and they are very expensive. The location is not very clean at all but the diving is awesome. As for security there, it's recommended to lock up your items as they can grow feet....if you are looking for a relaxing place with excellent accommodation with excellent diving I would recommend Jeffs Place at Inhambane. It is approx 45 min drive (in a 4x4) from the airport and the atmosphere is very relaxed. The diving is closer to the Manta's and whalesharks. Tofo is about a 1 hour boat drive from manta reef. Jeffs is about 25 minute boat drive. The lady who runs the DCis Tibia, been there a long time and knows lots of sites. I have been to Tofo as well as Jeffs and worked there. Found a un-discovered wreck which I am going to dive again next weekend. Sorry no co-ordinates for you.

You can safely leave items at Jeffs place as there is no theft, the resort is in the sand dunes and not in between the loacl markets. They do have town trips if that is what you after. Please remember malaria medication.

If you need any more info drop us an email

Cheers

I agree Tofo Scuba is not the best but I am also not to keen on Jeffs although I know the owner her name Hantie but I recommend you stay at a resort that have their own dive centers my favorite resorts in that area are either of the 2 Barra resorts Barra Lodge or Flamingo bay which is beautiful it is built on stilts in the Bay of Inhambane or Guinjata Resort which also have their own dive center it would be Completely stupid to use a dive operator in Tofo and stay at Jeffs which is in Guinjata Bay

I agree with travel girl However I don,t find anything wrong with Tofo Scuba but I would stay at the resorts she recommends all 3 of them are excellent and not expensive visit my web page for more info on diving in Mozambique

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom