Trip Report: Protea Banks, South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Theunis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had an awesome shark diving trip on The Protea Banks, KwaZulu -Natal, South Africa from 28 March to 5 April 2009. I have already posted this trip report in the Shark Forum thread but decided to post it here as well!

Some background info - Protea Banks is located 8 kilometers offshore from Shelly Beach, just north of Margate, KwaZulu-Natal. I have been diving on the Protea Banks for the past 5 years during our annual vacations to KwaZulu-Natal and have been a scuba diver for 25 years.

Protea Banks is not a proclaimed nature conservation and thus is shared by anglers and scuba divers alike. This reef is well-known as a shark diving spot with regular sightings of Zambezi (Bull), Tiger, Hammerhead, Black-tip, Ragged-tooth (Sand-tigers) sharks and many more.

During my stay I did 5 dives? 1 baited dive and 4 non-baited dives.

My first dive was a baited dive. We left shore at 08:00 for our 8 kilometers trip to the Protea Banks. The dive operator uses GPS to get to the correct location. In went the bait and after about 20 minutes the sharks were circling. Our dive master gave the command to get ready and we went in. This was an awesome 100 minutes dive. We saw many Bull (6 circling the whole time) and Black-tip sharks, as well as a Tiger shark. The sharks came in close, basically swimming among us. At 100 minutes our cylinders were close on empty and the dive was called. During our time at sea and dive we had drifted about 11 kilometers with the current as the sea was very rough and we had a tough bouncing trip back to Shelly Beach. We were 4 hours on sea from time of departure to time of arrival.

My next 4 dives were non-baited dives. These are all advanced dives due the depth and current. The current can be more than 3 knots (about 6 kilometers per hour). The depth varies between 30 and 40 meters and I prefer non-baited dives due to the depth challenge. During my 4 non-baited dives we saw many Bull, Black-tip, Hammerheads (Great and Scalloped hammerheads), Tiger sharks and some huge Giant guitarfish (Sand sharks) on the bottom (40 meters). These non-baited dives last for approximately 40 minutes and include safety and decompression stops.

I'm posting a few pictures which were taken by Roland Mauz from African Dive Adventures, (with his kind permission to use these excellent photos which were taken during dives), the dive operator on the Protea Banks, due to the fact that regrettably I don't own an underwater camera (yet). Enjoy!

Blacktips

16279cl.jpg

2e2q7p4.jpg

Hammerheads

2uzcs1u.jpg

3481vzo.jpg

Tigers

35ddyyw.jpg

33eubzc.jpg

Bulls (Zambezis)

10gmsd1.jpg

m8mhd1.jpg

oky9g1.jpg

m7xh8m.jpg

Great report Theunis - gotta get up there myself sometime.

How much did they charge for a baited dive?

Great report Theunis - gotta get up there myself sometime.

How much did they charge for a baited dive?

Thanks AndyT!

The charge for a baited dive was R1000.

Thanks for the trip report and great pic's. I just wish it was closer to California :)

It's a pleasure Rickg!

Money-wise California is not that far from South Africa though. The Rand/Dollar exchange rate is just less than 10 to 1. For every $ you get close to R10.:wink:

African Dive Adventures caters, to a large extend, for the international market with many divers from Europe.

Great report Theunis, now I know that I have to get out to Protea Banks asap. I've been meaning to go down south for the Sardine Run this year but this report makes me think we shouldn't be waiting until winter. How seasonal are these sharks that you guys saw now?

Great report Theunis, now I know that I have to get out to Protea Banks asap. I've been meaning to go down south for the Sardine Run this year but this report makes me think we shouldn't be waiting until winter. How seasonal are these sharks that you guys saw now?

Thanks for the comments Deefstes!

These sharks on the Protea Banks tend to be seasonal.

Blacktips, Hammerheads (Great and Scalloped), Tigers and Zambezis (Bulls) are mostly seen during October to May.

Ragged-Tooth (Sand-tigers): June to November.

Happy shark diving!:wink:

eish Theunis that is a awesome dive report there just tooo much adreneline for me to be dive with the sharks hehe will just stick to seein them on photos here and on the big screen.

eish Theunis that is a awesome dive report there just tooo much adreneline for me to be dive with the sharks hehe will just stick to seein them on photos here and on the big screen.

Hi there chrisgp007 and thanks for the compliment!

There is no need to be scared of sharks in general. The dive operator at Protea Banks has been operating there since 1994 with NO shark related incidents as far as I know. I did 26 dives on the Protea Banks during the past 5 years and they were all awesome.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom