South Africa in June- what to pack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wahlaoeh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So, after years talking about the Sardine Run, I've finally booked and confirmed a trip to South Africa this June. I'll be on a 3 weeks trip, 5 days dving in Mozambique, 3 days Safari at Kruger, 3 days diving with the Tiger sharks and 8 days for the Sardine Run. I'd like to pack light for the trip but it's going to be winter in June. For underwater, I've ordered a 7mm Scubapro Everflex wetsuit and am planning to layer it together with a 3/5mm Henderson hooded vest. Appreciate anyone who could give me advice on what clothes & shoes to pack for topside. Many thanks.
Happy bubbles,
Jovin-

Hi Jovin

For Mozambique you will need a pair of long pants and also a longsleeve t-shirt for the evenings - it can get windy at night, but the main reason is for the mosquitos !!!! I usually take something lightweight, not as heavy as a pair of jeans. Make sure to put them on around 1/2 an hour before sunset. Also socks - most mosqito bites occur below the knees, especially around the ankles.

I will leave the Kruger/Natal suggestions to the locals there, hopefully they will chip in here.

And shame on you for not coming to Cape Town !

Along the east coast on the Indian ocean it's quite mild and pleasant that time of the year - expect water temps about 23 Deg C. I find light clothing to be fine, fortunately its the dry season so Mossies not such a problem but wear longs to cover up in the evenings as a precaution as well as repellant, it's Malaria areas (Moz and KP) Heading up to the Kruger Park, its still the 'low veld' and dry season but will be more of a chill at night since less humidity. Sometimes we get cold snaps for a few days coming through from the south then temps plument, but have something warm to wear in the evenings (fleece pullover) but nothing really hectic cf. north american or european winters eish!

And good luck with the run.

Andrew, kosmonooit, thanks so much for the info and advice. How about scarf and beanie? I'll be bringing a pair of walking boots for Kruger. Do I need a pair of boots for city or do I do just fine with flip flops or sandals? Thanks.

Oh yeah! I'd need good luck for the run and yes, pls pray for me ;-)

Jovin-

Beanie is a great idea - I take one everywhere !!! Flip flops in the city are fine, if it gets cold you have your boots. Pack the scarf if you have room.

And holding thumbs for the sardine run as well !!!! Hope it works well for you.

Cities: on the coast? Slops or open shoes are fine but up here in Joburg its much colder, esp. when those cold fronts come in from the cape, which btw you will be hoping for to induce the sardine run .. but generally it will feel colder from you if Singapore weather is what your norm is.

Some game drives in the Kruger leave early in the morning and it can be a bit fresh then but still not hectic

Talking Sardine Run, only last night did I really get an insight as to what actually happens thanks to the BBC - Natures Great Events Episode 4, in HD nogal - on a torrent near you and the full set forthcoming on DVD and Blu Ray. Really incredible footage, and a real insight. I have grown up hearing about this event but henceforth no one could actually tell me why it happens. Also the eastern cape coast is stunning - especially the former Transkei, really rural and beautifil unspoilt, unlike the over developed South KZN coast, but who knows for how long, some scenes of that in the above.

If you need any more local knowledge please dont hesitate, happy to oblige.

ps Flip flops and socks are not a bad idea if there is a slight chill in the evenings but wear longs to keep the mossies at bay

ps Flip flops and socks are not a bad idea if there is a slight chill in the evenings but wear longs to keep the mossies at bay

Good advice - that's exactly what I do !

Hi there wahlaoeh! Wow you've got a great trip planned. I'm curious, are you going to stay in kruger and where do you plan doing your Tiger shark diving?

In any case, enjoy your trip!

Hey guys, thanks again ;-)

Theunis, YYeah! I'll be staying 3 nights at Kruger. I've booked my trip with Dive the Big 5 and my rough itinerary as follows:
June 6 (Sat): Arrive in Johannesburg around 7am. Free & Easy. Overnight Metcourt Laurel.
June 7 (Sun): Check out after breakfast. Flight to Inhambane, Mozambique. Overnight at Barra Lodge.
June 8-11 (Mon-Thurs): Diving in Mozambique. 2 dives per day.
June 12 (Fri): Flight to Kruger, free & easy. Overnight at Notten's
June 13-14 (Sat-Sun): Full day spent game viewing in the Sabi Sand Private Game Reserve. Overnight at Notten's.
June 15 (Mon): Flight to Durban, Free & Easy.
June16-17 (Tue-Wed): Tiger sharks diving at Aliwal Shoal.
June 18-25 (Thurs-Thurs): Flight to East London, Sardine Run package.
June 25 (Thurs): Flight to Johannesburg, Overnight
June 26 (Fri): Free & Easy in Johannesburg.
June 27 (Sat): Flight out from Johannesburg, depart around 1pm. Note: next day arrival.

Pls feel free to give me any other advice based on my plan.
Many thanks and Happy bubbles..
Jovin-

Back
Top Bottom