World Cup and Scuba Questions for South Africa 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evilclown

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So i'm going the World Cup S.A. 2010. Seems the only cities hosting that are on the coast are Cape Town, Durban, and Port Elizabeth. Any good diving there? Or is the best diving in S.A elsewhere?

Being i will already be in Africa, maybe i'll stick around a little longer after the cup. What is the best place to dive in all of Africa? Yes i know it's a vague stupid question, but jut give me your opinion anyways.

Thanks.

Hi

There is some good diving to be done here in Cape Town. Mostly wreck / reef diving, there are some pics on my Flickr site - see the link in my signature. Also one good spot to see Sevengill cowsharks.

South of Durban you can dive Aliwal Shoal or the Protea banks. I'll leave that one up to the locals there, they will be along to comment soon I'm sure.

P.E. has some good diving, but the conditions are unpredictable, don't expect more than 5-8m viz.

If you are going to stay a while after the WC you could consider Sodwana Bay as well.

For the rest of Africa try Tofo, Mozambique to see Whalesharks and Mantas. There are also some pics on my Flickr.

Hope this helps !!!

Hey what about Joburg - we got some lekka dam diving here!

Just kidding but it is a very central place to access all the above - Moz is close as is northern KZN / Sodwana , you cant go wrong with either. Diving is quite big here, lots of options.

Yeah as the guys above have mentioned.
Here's an article on the top 5 dive sites in SA.

Cape Town is well know for it's Great white sharks (highest concentration in the world!). The waters a lot colder down there compared to further up the coast in Durban and Mozam. For example in Cape Town a 5-7mm full length wetsuit with hood, gloves and booties. Durban the coldest temp registered on my DC is 21oC. Mozam and Sodwana should be warmer still.....

Around Durban you have the obvious Aliwal Shoal option down at Umkamaas that has some great dive locations along it's length. There is also diving spots directly off Durban's beaches and Ushaka Marine World.

Further north near St. Lucia there is Sodwana Bay which offers some great diving.

Even further north is Mozambique. Many would say that it is well worth the effort to go diving up there and will offer a "once in a life" time diving experience.

You can check out some of SA's dive magazines here: Divestyle, Submerge, African Diver. They all have articles on the best dive sites in and around SA.

maybe this is a stupid question, Is there any inland diving in SA? i know when i head there next year i would def dive offshore bc of the unique diving in the ocean. but what about you locals that dont live near the coast. any caves or good lakes?

but what about you locals that dont live near the coast. any caves or good lakes?

Indeed, not that I have dived myself, but read about them in above mentions mags, will delve through the archives and revert.

I know there is some amazing cave dive in Zimbabwe, and its quite possible still to travel there, they sure would welcome ur $$$

I think the record for the deepest dives have been set diving down local mineshafts, but I cant imagine that to be much fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom