Aliwal Shoal or Protea Banks for shark Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceanfreedom

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone,
I read few articles about Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks but because I am only going to be in that area for three or four days I will like to know what of the two locations is better for shark encounters.
Thanks

Hi there oceanfreedom. I have been diving on the Protea Banks for the past 5 years. I did a total of 26 dives there with an average of approximately 5 dives a year on our annual holidays at the coast.

During those dives we saw many sharks like Bulls, Tigers, Hammerheads, Black Tips, etc. From a personal point of view, I will recommend Protea Banks.

You have a choice of baited and non-baited dives and I will recommend African Dive Adventures. Herewith a link to their website: Welcome to African Dive Adventures

You can dive at Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks during your stay...they are approximately 100 kilometers from each other!!

Definatly Aliwal shoal, But you must go with BLUE WILDERNESS by Mark Addison
Tigers tigers tigers!!

Exactly the same question I had, but with a twist: we're going to be there late December,
when there is low probability of Tiger sharks at Protea (based on chance-charts on website
of African Dive Adventures).
Would that make any difference, Theunis ?

Thanks!
Ajay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom