Tofo, Mozambique...advice please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave martin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,
I am diving in Tofo, Mozambique in early November and would be interested in views as to whether to take my 3 or 5 mm wetsuit. Also any useful tips from anyone who has dived the area would be gratefully received.
Many thanks.
Dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

Water temperatures here at the moment are around 23-24 degrees celcius so I would definitely bring your 5mm if you don't want to get cold.

The diving in this area is fantastic, absolutely world class, wherever you have been before you will not be disappointed. The main dive spots in the region are Tofo, Barra and Jangamo and all are within a 45 minute drive from Inhambane, the main hub of the region.

The premium dive site of the area is Manta Reef, which has 3 Manta cleaning stations and an unbeliveable level of reef fish and game fish. Manta Reef is about 20km from Tofo, 30km from Barra and 10km from Jangamo.

Each area also has local reefs which are all spectacular, you will be guaranteed to see lion fish, paper fish, countless nudibranches, many morays and even frog fish if you're lucky.

Visibility is mixed at the moment, sometimes as low as 5m, others up to 20 or 30m. There are not too many whale sharks around right now but they are here, BUT it is a great time of year to see the Humpback whales, which you can often see breaching out in the water from the beach.

Tofo is a great place, has a good backpacker vibe and party scene and is always busy with many divers. I actually manage a PADI 5* Gold Palm dive centre down at Jangamo beach, at Jeff's Palm Resort (jeffsmozdotcom), which is a little bit quieter than Tofo but much less developed and has more of a chilled feel.

I hope you enjoy your diving trip, if you feel like visiting us down here at Jeff's you can drop me a line or give me a call once you get to Inhambane to arrange transport to the resort.

Happy diving!

Mike Kelly
PADI MSDT #498052
Manager
Jeff's Pro Dive Centre
Praia de Jangamo
Inhambane, Mozambique

Email: mikekelly1980atgmail.com
Tel: +258 84 239 1100

Mike,
Many thanks for the useful info. I may look you up when we get to Mozambique.
Regards.
Dave.

hey dave- i may see you there as i'm planning to fly out in the next few weeks.

really? 5mms recommended. i guess i'll be packing a little bit heavier than expected.

other recommendations on places to stay / not-to-stay?

Hi.
I'm there from Nov 12th and will be staying at the Tofo Mar. Small but seemingly adequate hotel near the dive centre. There seems to be quite a choice otherwise.
Dave

It was a few years ago, but if you get mantas and whalesharks, which most do, it's world class diving (snorkling which is the normal interaction with the whalesharks). But if you're unlucky and there's a draught, which do happen sometimes, the diving is not that impressive. No coral to speak of and diversity is only so so to be honest. Viz, as one can expect in filter feeder waters, are often rotten. 'Amazon' was the be the best dive inmo, taking mantas and whalesharks out of the equation.

The speed boat entrys through the surf are rough and need some preparation if you carry a larger camera rig. I used a crate and padded it with old wet suits borrowed to me by the dive centre and placed it as far back as possible in the boat (least rocking near the engines).

I went in late november and had a brand new 5 mm suit, that was adequate. Water was around 25 celcius if memory serves me right.

Dived with Tofo Scuba, which was a well organized and safety oriented centre. But perhaps a little too oriented towards unexperienced divers, the casual backpacker type of diver.

We dined at Tofo del mar a couple of times and spent some time with a couple from England who stayed there. If it's anything like it was a couple of years ago, bring a smile and patience. They had a very nice and hospitable manager at the time ... but his managing skills left a bit to be desired though. But he could make you laugh. And cry. Sort of faulty towers going on there.

Stayed at Casa Barry, which is not far from del mar. They have some wonderful bungalows at the waterfront, which are a bit costy for a couple dining out for all meals. They are aimed toward self catering families or a group of four, it has it's own kitchen.

Good luck

Last edited:
Why not just take a 3mm wetsuit due to it being lighter, and hire a 5mm one if the water gets colder? It should be warm enough to warrant a 3mm suit now.

Visit my web page some good info on Mozambique diving I dive there about once a month

Back
Top Bottom