Where is the Best Shark Diving in South Africa (no cage)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tovster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It is late April and I'm looking for the best shark diving in South Africa. I don't want to be in a cage for the dives. Is there a great operation in Durbin (I'm close to Durbin now) that you recommend? Thanks

In Umkomaas, less than 1 hour south of Durban there are many operators that do baited shark dives (without cages). You are pretty much guaranteed to see between 20 and 50 Blacktips and some Dusky Sharks. I have seen Tiger sharks a few times, but they're quite shy and don't usually come too close to the bait. There has also been a Great White sighting although I'm glad it wasn't by me :)

I recommend the company Ocean Worx (:: Oceanworx - Aliwal Shoal, South Africa ::), but most of the operators there do shark dives.

Here are some pics I took last December on a baited dive with Oceanworx

shark-dive.jpg
sharky-sharky.jpg
tiger.jpg

Thought I'd chip in with a Ragged-tooth Shark (Carcharias taurus), photographed at Aliwal Shoal, also diving with Oceanworx. Great place, great diving, great operator, great animals!

Carcharias_taurus_001.jpg

I spent three weeks diving from Shelly Beach about an hour south of Durban, back in March.

Speak to Roland Mauz at Welcome to African Dive Adventures and he'll give you a great quote for some of the most incredible diving you'll ever undertake.

Over the three weeks I saw maybe twenty Tiger Sharks, countless Bull Sharks (50+), maybe ten to twenty Blacktip Sharks and three Scalloped Hammerheads. You might encounter Dusky Sharks and at certain times of the year you'll see hundreds of Raggies.

The dive site is called Protea Banks (it's enormous) and is the the best site I've ever dived. I'm tempted to put up some pictures. If I remember, I'll post them tomorrow... you'll take the next available flight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom