Shark diving SA or Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I am looking for somewhere in or near SA where I will have a very good chance of diving with sharks and looking for recommendations on both where to go and what operation to use. Looking to go Nov/Dec this year.

Places like Aliwal Shoals, Protea banks, anywhere there's lots of big pelagic action really. Prefer to do liveabord but diving from day boats also fine. Ideally would want a minimum of 3 dives a day and *really* ideally 4.

Any tips, thoughts much appreciated. If Mozambique or somewhere else is a better bet then please feel free to input as such. Some quick background, have dived a fair amount with sharks now (oceanic white tips, hammerheads, galapagos, black tips, silkies, as well as the various reef sharks etc.) so looking for a fairly high octane trip.

Many thanks in advance,

John

Lots of great whites in SA around that time of year. Don't think that's quite what you're after though.

Hi Gubbins,

Thanks for your post and you're correct, not really looking for great whites/cage diving.

I have a bad habit of going to great places in the wrong season :) so trying to avoid this scenario this time! Any idea what Moz is like that time of year for sharks?

Cheers,
John

I was there in November a couple of years ago and sharks weren't really a hot topic (other than whale sharks, which were everywhere). Have seen a few people on this board who work in the diving industry in Moz, perhaps they could help?

Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks are much better shark destinations than Mozambique while, as far as megafauna are concerned, Mozambique would be better for Whalesharks and Mantas.

At Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks they also do dedicated shark trips where the boat cruises around and specifically look (and put out bait) for sharks. I have not done one of these baited dives yet as it is a bit more expensive than most other dive trips but from what I've read it sounds magnificent.

One of the members here, Theunis, posted a mouth watering trip report from Protea Banks a while back.

Hi

There are no liveaboards in SA or Moz. Aliwal Shoal is great for ragged tooth (aka Sand-tiger and Grey nurse) sharks from June to November when they go there to breed. THere are also baited or chimmed Tiger shark dives there. Check out this site for some info South African Sharks and Safari | Indigo Safaris

As everyone else has said, SA will be better than Moz if you're purely interested in sharks.

Here in Tofo, we have abundant megafauna (whale sharks and mantas) but unfortunately, the shark finning industry has depleted our shark populations.

We have great diving, an awesome vibe, and a beautiful location, but only mantas and whale sharks (!!) if you're interested in big cartilaginous fishes. We have tons of other marine fauna and flora here, though!

Hi,
Aliwal Shoal is the best place to stay for your trip with sharks. Have a look at Agulhas House Agulhas House - Umkomaas Accomodation | Aliwal Shoal | Scuba Diving | PADI Dive Courses. They have good accommodation and a dive centre on site. Longer dive times, smaller groups, etc are the reasons to stay here. From there you are able to dive with Ragged Tooth Sharks, White and Black Tips, Tigers etc. There is also the chance of whale sharks if the inshore water is clean.
From there you are also able to do day trips and dive Protea Banks which is 45 mins away by car.
Both sites have good Baited Shark Dives as well.
Let me know what other sites you want to dive and I can give you recommendations at those as well

Hi S@A,

Can you tell us a bit more about Rocky Bay? I see the name mentioned from time to time and I understand it must be right close by Aliwal Shoal but on the two occasions that I've dived at Umkomaas there was no talk of Rocky Bay at all. Do you operate diving at Rocky Bay? What and where exactly is it?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom