Tofu or Aiwal / Protea / Sodwana Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Cannot decide where to go diving.
Where would you recommend a trip to Moz (tofu) or a trip including Aiwal Shoal/ Protea Banks and Sodwanna Bay?

I have two weeks vacation and am considering either or!
Please give me your advice guys.
Much appreciated.

Hi,
Both areas are amazing and have different things to offer.
What time of the year are you looking at and what type of diving do you want to do?
I have been diving from Aliwal Shoal since the 80's and love it but let me know what you like and I can try and help
Brett

Hi,
Both areas are amazing and have different things to offer.
What time of the year are you looking at and what type of diving do you want to do?
I have been diving from Aliwal Shoal since the 80's and love it but let me know what you like and I can try and help
Brett

Maybe you can answer for me since the OP hasn't come back :) We'll be in Tanzania for a safari and then ending our trip with a week in South Africa visiting Johannesburg, Drakensburg, and Cape Town. In between we have about a week, including travel time, to go somewhere nice and do some diving. Here is my criteria:

1. Somewhere that is nice, that after the diving in the morning is still a beautiful and enjoyable place to be. Zanzibar seems to be the best choice for this, but the diving does not seem to be nearly as good as Tofo or Sodwana/Aliwal. Though I've read good things about Mafia?

2. My wife will be getting her certification so it has to be somewhere that has some nice shallow dives, not where all the good diving is at 40m.

3. Somewhere safe where we don't have to lock ourselves up when we're not diving. I may be mistaken or things may have changed since some of the threads are older but some posters made it seem like Tofo was a pretty sketchy area? Is it? How is Sodwana and Ukomass by comparison?

4. For myself, I want the most memorable diving experience period, big fish, good vis, lots of sea life, schools of fish, sharks, etc.. I can go do deeper dives while my wife is getting certified for two days if need be, and then we can dive together afterwards. Not interested in wrecks, that's all we have where I'm from.

So where should we go? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom