Zanzibar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minchia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just returned from a trip to Zanzibar after a safari in Tanzania. I spent a few days in both Nungwi and Matemwe. I have only dove in the United States and French Polynesia before this trip and I was a little worried about safety standards in Africa. As it turned out, the diving was excellent and I was really impressed with the coral and fish species on the dives.

In Nungwi, I used East Africa Diving Center. I read a lot of mixed reviews of the various dive shops in Nungwi and this one seemed to be a good one and I was glad that I used them. East Afica Diving goes to both the Mnemba Atoll and the local reefs off Nungwi. I had read that the Mnemba Atoll was the best place to dive off northern Zanzibar (besides Pemba Island) but the dive shop owner said since I was already going to be in Matemwe that I should dive the local Nungwi reefs instead while in Nungwi and then dive at Mnemba while in Matemwe. What great advice!!!

The group I was with was a married couple from another resort and myself along with the East Africa Diving dive master MJ and the ship captain. First, the dive boat was an aweome dhow that we all loved. Second, the dive master and rental equipment were great. Third, the dving at the Nungwi local reefs were AMAZING. We went to the Coral Gardens and Chakatuni dive sites. I was blown away by the coral. I'm only a beginner/intermediate diver but the married couple I was with had gone on over 500 dives all over the world and they said the diving in Nungwi ranked among the best they had ever experienced. There were so many species of various tropical fish, nudibranch, and moray eels.

In Matemwe, I dove at the Mnemba Attol with the dive company One Ocean. While I enjoyed diving at the Mnemba Atoll, I thought that the coral was not as good as in Nungwi. Also, even though the Mnemba Atoll is just off Matemwe, due to the extreme low tides we couldn't leave from a boat right off the hotel beach but had to drive 40 minutes in a cramped truck to another beach. Then we got on boat totally filled with divers and snorkellers. I felt cramped and uncomfortable the whole time getting to the dive site. Worst, the dive equipment One Ocean used was in bad shape, my rental regulator was old and leaking air and I made them get me a newer one. Their rental fins also gave me a terrible blister.

If I were to do the trip again to Zanzibar, I would have stayed in Nungwi the entire time and I would have used East African Diving for all my dives which I highly recommend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom