Sardine Run Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nomadic-brands

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

My husband and I have just booked flights to Durban on the 27th June this year, hopefully this should be around the time of the Sardine Run.

Questions...bearing in mind that this is not a two week holiday for us as we have been travelling for 10 months already, and as such we do not have the same budget as a two week holidaymaker...(unfortunately!)

1. Is Port St Johns the best place to be, what about Shelly beach or further north?

2. Is it possible to pitch up in one of these places, wait around and see if there is any action and book a trip when we are there, OR is it really necessary to book in advance?

3. Does anybody recommend any dive / tour operators? We definitely cannot afford to book a one week trip, they are incredibly expensive!!

4. How fast do the shoals move? Is it realistic to be able to dive, or do the shoals simply move too fast to make this feasable?

5. Can you snorkel? Or is this a crazy question?

6. What are the chances of getting caught up in the food chain?!

7. Just how amazing is it??

Any advice welcome,

Last edited by a moderator:
I have booked on the Sardine run myself - from 9-16 June. It is a matter of pot luck as to whether they will be there or not. We are also running out of Port St Johns.

As I have no experience at this, I can only answer some of your questions, perhaps others will fill in the gaps.

I am on a semi private / invited tour so I have no recommendations unfortunately.

We will mostly be snorkelling - you need to be fairly mobile and be able to get in and out of the boat quickly when chasing the action, so it is definitely an option - in fact as far as I can tell it is the best way to do it.

I really don't know if there are options on doing a day trip but I will ask around and see what I can come up with.

The chances of becoming part of the food chain are slim, everything in the water is so focused on the sardines which there are plenty of.

How amazing is it? A friend of mine went last year, here are his pics Sardine Run 2010 - a set on Flickr - also from Port St Johns.

Hope this is of some help, if not feel free to ask some more and I will assist where I can.

Hey Andrew,

Ok so those pictures are utterly incredible! What can I say?:shocked2:

Snorkelling sounds ideal, and I guess a little cheaper too. Perhaps if I give you my email address you could send me some info once you have been, to give us a heads up on the situation / any useful info?

It's so difficult to plan, I guess with everything nature related it's hit or miss, you never know where the action will be from one day to the next.

Anyway, enjoy....it will be amazing!

Drop these guys a line and see what/where/when they're going this year. Marc Addison is an incredibly accomplished diver, guide, photographer, shark guru. They apparently had an amazing run last year but they didn't kick off where other people were.

Blue Wilderness | Home

This is from their run last year... nuff octane for ya?
http://www.bluewilderness.co.za/ind...lay&id=12&sl=latest&Itemid=66&layout=listview
http://www.bluewilderness.co.za/ind...lay&id=12&sl=latest&Itemid=66&layout=listview

I can't recommend these people strongly enough.

J

Hi,
If you still need a hand trying to arrange this let me know and I can see what I can do to help. there are people there that you can book only a couple of days with.
I can also help you dive The Aliwal Shoal as that is where I own a dive centre.
Hope this helps
Brett
info@agulhashouse.com
+27 39 97 31640

Sardine Run ad 2012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom