Advice Needed on Sardine Run Plus Cape Town Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fsudiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello Everyone, thank you in advance for any advice. I've read the forums and there is good information, but I and a dive buddy are heading to South Africa next week for nearly 3 weeks in hopes of catching the sardine run, and we have not firmed our diving plans. We haven't had good luck finding options for inexpensive but safe dive operators near St. John's. We've heard that you can just drive around and find them, but I'd much rather get advice from people in South Africa or who have traveled there recently. The sardine run has already started this year and we also haven't been able to find good resources on the predicted timing. We don't want to buy a weeklong package somewhere but would be happy to dive with a reputable operator the entire time.

We fly into Johannesburg 29 June then are planning on flying to Durban the next morning. Near the end of the trip, we are planning to go to Cape Town and need suggestions for diving there as well. Initially we were planning Mozambique instead, but we recently heard that it is too difficult to get there with visas and other considerations. The sardine run is supposed to be amazing if you can catch it. I'm hoping for help here from those who have experienced this!

THANK YOU for any advice including landside options and "must do" things in SA...especially ones for the budget-conscious but experienced divers!

Take care,
Gabrielle :cool2:

I went to the Sardine Run from 9 June to 16 June this year out of Port St Johns. We caught the first few shoals and then it went quiet again towards the end.
Most of them are currently sitting around East London, but there has been some further movement Nort over the past few days.
Predicting when they will appear is practically impossible - you just have to take your chances.
There are some Twitter blogs you can follow, I will get links for you.
I will also try and find out if there are any operators who will take on ad hoc passengers, but most of them like a pre booking.

As for Cape Town diving, contact Mike at Pisces Divers - mike@piscesdivers.co.za
Their site Scuba Dive Cape Town - Pisces Divers, Cape Town, South Africa

Hi,
the sardines have been quiet so far this year in port St johns. Today is the first day that they have really been seen but the water was dirty so no diving was done with them but lots of other activity as well.
I own and run endive centre in Umkomaas diving The Aliwal Shoal. Here we have the Tiger Shark dives as well as Ragged Tooth Sharks in good numbers this time of the year. I am also able to arrange a very good operator in Port St John's at around $ 220 per person per day plus accom. This is for a full day on the boat, weather permitting and lunch.
If you need any help let me know at info@agulhashouse.com or +27 39973 1640

Hope this helps

Some Twitter links to follow:

Animal Ocean's - Twitter
Mark Addison's - Twitter
The #SardineRun hastag - Twitter

Thank you all so much! We'll be making the contacts you recommended...I look forward to learning more soon.

I have another question, please, for anyone who has driven in SA. How is the driving in general there? How is the drive from Durban to St. John's? Is it worth getting an airline ticket from Johannesburg to Durban? What about the drive from Durban to Cape Town? I know it is long...but how is it? How long does it take? Is it a nice view? Thanks again.

The drive from Johannesburgh to Durban is approx 400 miles and takes approx 6 hrs. There is not much to see along the way unless you stop in the Drakensburgh mountains. Otherwise try some of the cheaper airlines Mango, 1Time, Kulula, Velvet Sky as they normally work out quiet cheap.
You are then about 45 mins drive from The Aliwal Shoal. from Aliwal to Port St John's is approx 240 miles and takes about 3 to 4 hrs. The drive is not that bad but you do need to drive carefully on the smaller roads as there is livestock and people all over the place. Please remember that here we drive on the right hand side as well.
Once you are at Port St John's you might as well carry and drive to CT. From East London itbis a fantastic drive with lots of things to see from game to wine etc

Thank you! I am getting more excited as the days draw closer! This is a lifetime dream to visit South Africa. Any advice on Cape Town as well?

Soooo much to do in Cape Town..... a trip up Table Mountain, a dive with the Sevengill Cowsharks, visit the wine farms, Great White diving, Botanical Gardens, plus much more.
Depends on what type of things you enjoy doing. I would be happy to meet you guys for a dive and perhaps help you make some choices.

Sardine Run 2012

Sardine Run ad 2012.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom