Any Africa Shark Dive and Safari Suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MitchellW

New
Reaction score
Hey folks...I am looking into going on a Safari in Africa for my 50th b-day, and would love to throw in some dives, preferably shark dives to get some adrenalin flowing through these aging bones. This combo has led me to look into S. Africa. I'd love to do a white shark cage dive but looks like that puts me way off the beaten path for a safari. If that is the case, looking at tiger/bull dives as an alternative. If that won't work, great reef diving would be the next best thing. I'd love some outfitter suggestions that might do both a safari and diving.

I came across a web site from South African Diving Safaris? The dive/safari package on their web site (southafricadivingsafaris.com) looks perfect but cannot find any recommendations, good or bad, about these folks and no response from them so I'm guessing they are history.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Mitchell

I do not know of anyone who organises dive safaris is South Africa but here is some information that may help you plan your trip.

Great White cage diving is mostly done in Cape Town. I haven’t tried cage diving so I cannot recommend any operators. However, if you Google Cage Diving Cape Town you will be able to see who is in the business. If you choose to go to Cape Town there is also the option of diving the kelp forests where you are likely to see a Seven Gill shark. Other things to do in Cape Town are to visit the wine estates – Klein Constantia and Veregelegen are highly recommended.

In terms of shark dives, Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks are you best options. Both sites are situated south of Durban. When we dive at Aliwal Shoal we dive with Oceanworx and when we dive at Protea Banks we dive with African Dive Adventures. You are more likely to dive with Bull and Tiger sharks at Protea Banks and there is always the option of doing a bated shark dive (no cage). Bear mind that Protea Banks is an advanced diving spot with depths in the 30 – 40 metre depth range, there are often strong currents and the boat ride to and from the dive spot is and experience on its own. I have had both my best and worst dives at Protea Banks in the space on one day. Aliwal Shoal on the other hand is a little less hectic than Protea Banks and there is the option of diving two wrecks – the Nebo and the Produce. In the winter months Aliwal Shoal is a great place to see Ragged Tooth sharks.

If you decide to skip the shark diving and go reef diving then Sodwana is you best bet. Sodwana is about 360 km / 225 miles north of Durban and is close to the South Africa Mozambique border. I highly recommend diving with Adventure Mania. They are, in my opinion, the best charter in Sodwana. Sowana has various different reefs which are all named after their distance from the launch site. Most people dive on Four Mile reef which is a very colourful vibrant reef in the 12 – 20 metre depth range. If you venture further out you can find some amazing untouched dive spots. My favourite is Seymour’s Ledge (40 – 55 metre depth range).

Please note that when diving in a South African Marine Protected Area (Sodwana and Aliwal Shoal) you need a diving permit which can be obtained from most Post Offices for a small fee.

For big five game viewing in South Africa I recommend the Kruger National Park which is situated in the North East of the country. You can either stay inside the park which has several camps or you can stay in one of the many private lodges that are situated on the outskirts of the park. Accommodation inside the park is relatively inexpensive, have a look at South Africa National Parks to make a booking. If you are interested in staying in a private lodge then I can recommend Mohlabetsi.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Jon! It looks like we will be doing Sodwana and Kruger National Park as the safari portion is the real reason we are headed to Africa and it seems as if Kruger is the best safari option. We have been in contact with Shark Alley/Scuba Mozambique as a booking agent. Do you or any other active fellow Board members have experience with them? I'm pretty sure this is where I got there name from.

Hi Mitchell

I would rather use Lorraine at Top Tours Africa,I used her after coparing prices she was the cheapest and her service was very good Did a very simular thing to what you doing.
She even phoned me wheI got to different destinations to make sure everything was ok !!!!
Try her its worth the effort lorraine@toptoursafrica.com
Enjoy yourself I did

Hi Mitchell,
If you want Sharks and Safari then the best place to go is The Aliwal Shoal for the Ragged Tooth Sharks (between July and November) and the baited shark dives (all year round with Blacktips, Duskys and Tiger Sharks mainly). From there you can also do trips down to Protea Banks (1 hr south) for the Bull Sharks as well. The game parks are only 3hrs north of Umkomaas.
If you come in June/July then you are also able to combine this with the Sardine Run as well.
Importantly you also want good accommodation so try Agulhas House a four star B&B that has its own dive centre on site ( info@agulhashouse.com or +27 39 9731640). Mickey ( he has been at Aliwal for over 20 years) will be able to send you all the info (pictures of the accpom etc) and suggest a package for you. He would also be able to arrange the safari for you if you want. There are a number of great places to go and it depends if you want private game farms like Pinda Game Reserve or Umfolozi etc
Hope this helps

Sardine Run ad 2012.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom