South Africa Dec 16-20 Need ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shortdivemedic

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be flying in to JoBurg on the 16 and need to go from there somewhere. I really want to do some cage diving with sharks. I would also like to dive with some bigger marine life than I get in the Red Sea.
I have about 4 days before traveling to Port Elizabeth and St Francis Bay. I am ok with Boats, Shore dives and open to all suggestions.

Cheers
Michael

Fly down to Cape Town and do your cage diving with the Great Whites for a day or two. Then just chill and relax around one of the most amazing cities in the world. Go up Table mountain, spend a day cruising the wine route, go to Kirstenbosch Gardens...etc etc.

OR after your cage diving take a slow road trip up the coast to PE. Stop at all the little sea side towns. Especially spend a day in Knysna, go bungee jumping of Bloukrans bridge!
SO MUCH to do.

In all honesty 4 days is not much time. Either you cruise down to Cape Town for the big great whites or head to Durban and Aliwal Shoal or the Protea banks for some diving (you will most likely see sharks at these spots too).
Those are the most conveinient apotions.

BUT remember that you are traveling around South Africa at the worst posiible time. Its the December school holidays and EVERYONE will be down at the coast so you better book your accomodation/ flights/ rental car ASAP.

Al Mitch
Sorry I will be down there a total of 14 days I just get to do a few things before the family stuff sets in. We are renting a villa at Cape St Francis to spend christmas with the families.
Thanks for the info though

Cape Town is great and yes you can do the cage diving but as a diver you would be better off going to the Aliwal Shoal and diving there. Its 50km / 35 miles south of Durban and about a 45 min to 1 hr trip from the airport.

The Aliwal Shoal is rated as one of the top ten dive sites in the world and has great sites including 2 wrecks and lots of sharks. During December you will get the last of the Ragged Tooth Sharks, white tip reef sharks, black tip reef sharks and if you do the Baited dives you have a 80% chance of seeing a Tiger Shark without a cage. Even if you do not see the Tiger you will get to swim with up to 50 Blacktips!

You want to get away at the beginning of our long December break so you need to make sure you can get bookings where you are going.

Try Agulhas House - Umkomaas Accomodation | Aliwal Shoal | Scuba Diving | PADI Dive Courses for a dive venue for Aliwal. 4 star accom which is bed and breakfast and the dive centre is on site. I know there are also reports on Trip Advisor about it. You want to chat with Mickey info@agulhashouse.com or +27 399731640

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom