Cape town great white diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moose016

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked before, I did a search and didn't see the same type of thing asked.

I'm planning to head to South Africa for a bout 2 weeks next year (dates not confirmed yet). I want to do some great white cage diving, along with some topside activities (safari). What i am wondering is the following:

If anyone has been there and done it, do you generally recommend hooking up with an operator when you get there or booking online prior to the trip? I usually like to book locally, but not sure how reputable the local places are or whether there is one outstanding operation.

Is there a best time of year for this?

I was planning on trying to do a day trip unless you really need more time for these dives.

I'm trying to budget when to go and how much time I'll need to do so. Any assistance or first hand experience you can relay would be appreciated.

Are you looking to only dive with the great whites or is there other diving you intend to do in South Africa?

Aliwal Shoal?
Protea Banks?
Sardine Run?
Sodwana bay?

Dependent on this will tell you what time of the year will be best and where you should go.

I had only gotten as far as planning on diving with the great whites since that is what I usually associate with SA but I would like to do some other dives. I've heard of Aliwal shoal so I would probably try to dive there and maybe one other place. I hadn't thought about the sardine run, but always wanted to do that. For that you need to have a lot of time and luck and be in the right place at the right time don't you? Any suggestions on additional sites would be appreciated.

The sardine run happens every year in the months of June and July. For this type of trip you need to budget a week to do it. It's nature and not always where u think it will be so a few extra days gives you the best chance of seeing it.

Aliwal Shoal from June till December you get the Ragged Tooth Sharks resident on the reef in great number. There are always Black Tip Reef Sharks and nov till Jan and may to July you have a great chance of seeing Tiger Sharks on the Baited Shark Dives. For there and Sardine Run talk to Agulhas House - Umkomaas Accomodation | Aliwal Shoal | Scuba Diving | PADI Dive Courses

Protea Banks also has great sharks year round but I would personally stay in Aliwal and travel down for the days that you would like to dive there. The reef is further out to sea and deeper so conditions play more of a factor.

Sodwana Bay is the most tropical diving we have in South Africa and close to a number of fantastic game parks so you can end the trip doing a safari whilst you degas! Here I use Default Domain Page

In Cape Town you can also dive with the seven gill shark which I have never done but have been told is year round Scuba Dive Cape Town - Pisces Divers, Cape Town, South Africa . I am sure they would be able to advise you on who is the best to use for GW's down there as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom