Tofo Mozambique v Aliwal Shoal / Protea Banks in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Any help is much appreciated.
I have three weeks in South Africa / Mozambique and want to make the most of my time travelling from Durban to Cape Town, doing some cage diving and visiting some attractions and either diving moz or Aiwal / protea banks.

Ok, first a question or two - when are you planning to go - weather and sea conditions play a important role - I see you have between 100 -199 dives logged,what qualification do you have? Any specific animals on your wishlist? any specific interests above water? I'd be happy to help you with info/sugestions:)

Thanks Reon,
I am going in August. I like big Pelagic action, sharks and big schools of big fish. I also love mantas ( I know thats tofo hands down ) I have three weeks to explore Soth Africa and perhaps tofo. Many thanks Reon.

Ok, first a question or two - when are you planning to go - weather and sea conditions play a important role - I see you have between 100 -199 dives logged,what qualification do you have? Any specific animals on your wishlist? any specific interests above water? I'd be happy to help you with info/sugestions:)

Upside is that August falls within the transitional period as far as sharks and pelagics goes, so you will have a good chance to see bot the summer and the winter animals. Downside is that is a windy time and sea conditions can get rough - but who cares about that in any case if you can see good stuff:)

In Cape Town area the highlights I think are to dive the 7-Gill Cow Sharks, Makos and Yellowfin Tuna where I recommend a friend Rob Laurence (of Air Jaws fame) Ultimate Animals Cow shark diving from our base in Simonstown, Cape Town, South Africa and Ultimate Animals Blue water predator trips with African Shark Eco-Charters in SA for more info.

Next stop is Gansbaai where you can contact Charmain Beukes at www.whitesharkprojects.co.za for cage diving, and book a whale watching trip as well while you are there.

Along the Garden Route there are a few nice oppotunities if weather and sea conditions allow, contact www.prodivers.co.za to organize.

Protea Banks at Shelly Beach in KwaZulu Natal is a must - you can see Zambezi (Bull) Sharks, perhaps ragged tooth sharks if they have not moved on yet, hammerheads if they have arrived already and also tiger sharks + loads of pelagics. Adventurous open water drift diving often in serious current and at 30 - 36 meters. Chat to Kym Pollard of AquaPlanet Dive Centre

Further south at Aliwal Shoal you can expect to see great reefs, nice wrecks, Tiger and loads of blacktip sharks, and even ragged tooth sharks. Good friend here is Carol and Ferdie of www.bluevision.co.za

Durban has great spots to dive too and the place is quite civilized - for more info check out www.calypsousaka.co.za and speak with Celeste or Patrick Voorma.

For real laid back African style diving Sodwana Bay is a must. My brother with another mother Peter Tim runs a bush lodge and charter at www.tritondiving.co.za - Eve does all the bookings and stuff.

You are right about Mantas and Whale sharks in Tofo - we normally dive the reefs from Barra's side, but there is a great outfit at Barra Resorts - Home Of Bamboozi Lodge

Three weeks is little time to cover it all - you will need to consider various ways of transport as well as accommodation options to fit it all - and of course budget plays a role.

If you would like assistance with planning and bookings, please feel free to email me on reon@diveafricadirect.co.za - no obligation or costs, I make a bit on the comm for doing the bookings.

---------- Post added ----------

Upside is that August falls within the transitional period as far as sharks and pelagics goes, so you will have a good chance to see bot the summer and the winter animals. Downside is that is a windy time and sea conditions can get rough - but who cares about that in any case if you can see good stuff:)

In Cape Town area the highlights I think are to dive the 7-Gill Cow Sharks, Makos and Yellowfin Tuna where I recommend a friend Rob Laurence (of Air Jaws fame) http://www.ultimate-animals.com/servicesentry/cow-shark-diving-trip-simonstown/ and http://www.ultimate-animals.com/servicesentry/blue-water-predator-trips/ for more info.

Next stop is Gansbaai where you can contact Charmain Beukes at www.whitesharkprojects.co.za for cage diving, and book a whale watching trip as well while you are there.

Along the Garden Route there are a few nice oppotunities if weather and sea conditions allow, contact www.prodivers.co.za to organize.

Protea Banks at Shelly Beach in KwaZulu Natal is a must - you can see Zambezi (Bull) Sharks, perhaps ragged tooth sharks if they have not moved on yet, hammerheads if they have arrived already and also tiger sharks + loads of pelagics. Adventurous open water drift diving often in serious current and at 30 - 36 meters. Chat to Kym Pollard of http://www.aquaplanet.co.za/

Further south at Aliwal Shoal you can expect to see great reefs, nice wrecks, Tiger and loads of blacktip sharks, and even ragged tooth sharks. Good friend here is Carol and Ferdie of www.bluevision.co.za

Durban has great spots to dive too and the place is quite civilized - for more info check out www.calypsousaka.co.za and speak with Celeste or Patrick Voorma.

For real laid back African style diving Sodwana Bay is a must. My brother with another mother Peter Tim runs a bush lodge and charter at www.tritondiving.co.za - Eve does all the bookings and stuff.

You are right about Mantas and Whale sharks in Tofo - we normally dive the reefs from Barra's side, but there is a great outfit at http://www.barraresorts.com/bamboozi-home-of-bamboozi-lodge/

Three weeks is little time to cover it all - you will need to consider various ways of transport as well as accommodation options to fit it all - and of course budget plays a role.

If you would like assistance with planning and bookings, please feel free to email me on reon@diveafricadirect.co.za - no obligation or costs, I make a bit on the comm for doing the bookings.

In Cape Town area the highlights I think are to dive the 7-Gill Cow Sharks, Makos and Yellowfin Tuna where I recommend a friend Rob Laurence (of Air Jaws fame) http://www.ultimate-animals.com/servicesentry/cow-shark-diving-trip-simonstown/ and http://www.ultimate-animals.com/servicesentry/blue-water-predator-trips/ for more info.

Protea Banks at Shelly Beach in KwaZulu Natal is a must - you can see Zambezi (Bull) Sharks, perhaps ragged tooth sharks if they have not moved on yet, hammerheads if they have arrived already and also tiger sharks + loads of pelagics. Adventurous open water drift diving often in serious current and at 30 - 36 meters. Chat to Kym Pollard of http://www.aquaplanet.co.za/

You are right about Mantas and Whale sharks in Tofo - we normally dive the reefs from Barra's side, but there is a great outfit at http://www.barraresorts.com/bamboozi-home-of-bamboozi-lodge/

oi, sorry about that multiple posting!

oi, sorry about that multiple posting!

I also recommend Roland from African Dive Adventures, and his wife Beulah, at Protea Banks. Excellent fun!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom