Can a woman dive and travel Mozambique by herself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orelle

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dear Divers,

I am planning to go to Mozambique and get as much of the coast covered as can be crammed into three weeks. Would anybody happen to know if that is a safe thing to do for a woman by herself?

Please say yes! :wink:

Cheers.

I think you're be better served to check with an Embassy vice what anyone on SB says...

As a retired Airborne Ranger and having spent some time in Africa.... It would be much safer to bring a strong , smart and good looking Bodyguard with you just to be safe... And I just checked with my wife and she said I could go... LOL

All joking aside.... Are you planning a solo dive trip or with a group... ? Do you have a lot of travel outside the normal places people go... ? Are you a fast thinker and able to " READ " what's going on around you... ? Are you a knockout , standout hottie OR a normal girl that blends in with a group... ?

When I was in Rhodesia years ago , The men of Africa didn't respect the female person very much...

Jim...

When I was in Rhodesia years ago , The men of Africa didn't respect the female person very much...

Jim...

Rhodesia? Dude, you need to get out more - hasn't been called that since maybe Jimmy Carter...

THREATS TO SAFETY AND SECURITY: Overland travel after dark is extremely dangerous due to the increased potential for vehicle hijacking. Visitors should be particularly vigilant when driving on the main thoroughfares connecting Mozambique and South Africa as incidents of vehicle theft, including assault and robbery, have been reported. U.S. government personnel who work at the U.S. Embassy in Mozambique are strongly discouraged from overland travel outside Maputo city limits after dark, and are encouraged to travel in convoys of two or more vehicles when outside of the city. They are prohibited from using “chapas” (local minibuses) due to frequent accidents involving these vehicles. Due to residual landmines, overland travelers are advised to remain on well-traveled roads or seek local information before going off-road outside of Maputo and other provincial capitals.

Although demonstrations do occur in Mozambique, they are infrequent and there have been no recent demonstrations against U.S. interests. If any demonstrations do occur, they should be avoided.

CRIME: Although the vast majority of visitors complete their travels in Mozambique without incident, the most serious threat facing U.S. citizens visiting Mozambique is crime. Street crimes, including mugging, purse-snatching, and pick-pocketing are common, both in Maputo and in secondary cities. Carjackings have become rare, but still do happen. Visitors must be vigilant when out in public areas and should not display jewelry or other items —even those of low value, like cell phones and personal music devices. Avoid isolated areas. Joggers and pedestrians have frequently been mugged, even during daylight hours. Visitors should take caution when walking at night, even in well-known tourist areas. Due to an increase in violent crime, pedestrian activity is discouraged on Maputo's Avenida Marginal between the Southern Sun hotel (formerly the Holiday Inn) and the Waterfront Restaurant.

Due to residual landmines,
One could ruin your whole day...sounds like solo anything is a bad idea also.

Dear Divers,

I am planning to go to Mozambique and get as much of the coast covered as can be crammed into three weeks. Would anybody happen to know if that is a safe thing to do for a woman by herself?

Please say yes! :wink:

Cheers.

I wouldn't recommend it. I did it a few years ago with my then Girlfriend. In the capital Maputo the hostel had guards on the gate to make sure no-one broke in. Armed guards at the ATM too.
Once out of the city there is more of a backpacker vibe, but the travel is very much local transport rather then a proper bus service. I would take a friend.

Rhodesia? Dude, you need to get out more - hasn't been called that since maybe Jimmy Carter...

It will always be Rhodesia to me.... To be a man among men... Rhodesia defence forces... Under the night sky's of Africa....

Jim...

Glad to see the answers to this thread...I was thinking of doing Moz myself and yes, I travel alone all the time so am used to having a heightened sense of awareness, but this thread has given me a bit of perspective.

I traveled on my own in for three weeks in Mozambique last year and, as it's the best diving I've done outside of Asia/Australia, I hope you find a way to make it happen. While I'm a guy, I think the answer depends on where you are planning on going and how you will be getting around. I'm sure you'd be spending time in the Tofo area, where I'd say absolutely no problem for a solo female traveler. Maputo, as others have described, isn't particularly safe and I'd spend as little time there as possible. The road system isn't great, and there is not major bus service within Mozambique. But...there is major bus service coming into Maputo from South Africa, and a (fairly) organized chapa service from Maputo up to Tofo that you could take coordinated by Fatima's Nest (a hostel in Maputo) where you'd likely wind up with other travelers anyway. Other options are flying into Tofo directly from Johannesburg, and flying along the coast from Tofo to Vilanculos to Maputo (all on LAM). I think you'd find your trip split up into "5 days here, 7 days there" among few destinations rather than one with many stops heading up or down the coast...there's just not a whole lot there in terms of organized tourist destinations...but I think that would lend itself to a more safe trip addressing your concern as you wouldn't be constantly on the move. Especially if you have a sense of adventure, I'd say go for it...you certainly won't regret it from a diving standpoint.

ocdiver1, do you have a trip report somewhere? I'd love to know quite a bit more about the Mozambique diving. Apparently, one can do land safari and follow up with diving. Ergo, would love as much info as you are able to share on the diving, dive ops, nitrox?, sites, accommodations, etc. etc. etc. (Like the OP, I too am a woman)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom