Marine Reserve Implementation - Aliwal Shoal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taniko_83

New
Reaction score
]For attention of the Aliwal Shoal Community

My name is Taniko. I am a South African living and studying in the UK. I am currently preparing for my final year Masters project (dissertation)at Southampton University. I would like to conduct a social survey on what Aliwal Shoal locals think of making Aliwal Shoal a Marine Reserve (No-take zone). I see that there has been lots of talk about it online, dating back to as far back as 2008 and I think its a very relevant topic to research. Way too often communities are not sufficiently consulted with prior to the implementation of MRs. This seems to me as counterproductive as the success of MR's replies primarily on community support. This has been shown time and time again.

I have done lots of work on the biological impacts of MR's in the past. I would like to move away from that and focus on how their implementation can be improved.

My question to you is: would you be willing to participate in a social survey if I made it available via an online resource, namely a website?

Examples of questions:
Q1) Have you ever been or are you involved in the Aliwal Shoal MPA
management plan?
(A) Y/N

Q2) Have you caught more fish since the implementation of the MPA?
A) Y/N/Unsure

Q3) Do you agree with where the current no-take zones are?
(A) Y/N

Q4) Do you think that the zones should be…
(A) Bigger,Stay the same,Smaller,Stopped,Unsure

Who can I call, or where could I find out information regarding the proposal to implement a fishing ban in Aliwal?

I would gladly allow for the finished project to be presented to the local governing body in order present the findings and drive informed policy implementation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom