How frequent are delays on LAM, Inhambane to Johannesburg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cephalopod2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
One dive op's website advised that delays for LAM (Mozambique) flights are frequent. The only other info I could find online on delays was at LAM Mozambique Airlines Customer Reviews | SKYTRAX but there are only 3 reviews total for 2012 and 2013.

I have two choices:

1. Fly Inhambane to Johannesburg arriving at 16:20 -- international flight departing same day at 20:45 (to Canada via London)
2. Fly the day before and overnight in Johannesburg

Anyone have recent experience on LAM or other LAM-specific advice? These flights would be on Mar 23 or 24. No other airline flies this route.

Many thanks.

In my humble opinion any time schedule out of Mozambique is "approximate" at best, you may be lucky, but I would definitely overnight in JHB.

I have only flown LAM once to Maputo and return, it was on time out of JHB but was 90 minutes late returning, under a no time stressed scenario its probably not the end of the world, but the 23rd is also a Sunday which is a very busy flying time as well and the airports are congested, you wont be leaving much wiggle room to transit if its 90 minutes or more late into JHB.

Widget thanks very much. That is what I am leaning towards.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the same day flight requires a stop and flight change in Vilanculo (two different flight numbers so likely a plane change involved as well). In my books, a second flight anywhere in the world doubles the chance of problems + delays.

This is my first trip through JNB - would love to hear suggestions on what to do with much of a day in the city (suitable for a female travelling solo). My international flight departs at 20:45 so I should have daylight hours.

Indeed flight changes especially in Mozambique are "iffy" time wise at best. I think you would be wise to rather stay over and JHB is a great city to spend a day or two in anyway.

There is lots to do and by just exercising a little "standard big city street cred" you will be fine, even as a single woman travelling alone.

A lot depends on what you like to do I guess, but getting out of the airport into the main shopping and hotel sections of JHB is easy with the Gautrain (high speed train connecting the airport to the main business and entertainment areas of Sandton, Rosebank etc) with only a day to look around you may want to just chill out at a sidewalk cafe, do a bit of shopping or just laze at the pool, its summer and nice and warm so its a nice option, but my suggestion would be either to stay at an airport hotel and use the train into Sandton to wonder around or a hotel in Sandton itself, there are lots and all are good and some will even pick you up at the airport if you ask.

All the hotels will have access to tourist shuttles etc but some nice attractions close by you can consider are - The Apartheid museum, The lion Park, a Soweto tour, on Sunday the Rosebank Fleamarket is very popular but heres the official johannesburg tourist web site, have fun its a wonderful vibrant friendly city.
Joburg Tourism

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom