Advice on diving a few days around Durban

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, my wife and I are going to Durban march 15-23. I'm there on business during the week, but we will have 2 weekends free. We are both divers with over 30 years of diving, probably averaging 10 - 12 so dives per year. We're in pretty good shape, but are over 60, so don't want to get into extremely stressful conditions -- that is, if there's a strong current, I would want to do a drift dive, not have to swim against the current to return to the boat. My tentative plan is to do some dives off Durban the first weekend, then after my conference I plan to move to Umkomaas and dive a couple of days on Aliwal. I'd like to get to Sodwana, but with very limited time, a 5-6 hour drive doesn't sound feasible. From what I've read, it looks like this isn't the ideal season to dive around Durban, but not the worst either. But I would like to hear from some Durban divers on any of the following: Is there at least a reasonable chance that we'll get good weather? Barring a major storm, do the dives generally go out every day? Any recommendations on dive sites? Should we forget about diving off Durban and just plan to go to Aliwal both weekends? I know the water is generally too rough for good snorkelling just off the beach, but are there any protected bays/coves (even small ones) where the water might be calm enough and where there would at least be some small interesting life. (We've done most of our diving in the Caribbean, so any fishes/ inverts outside that area are exotic for us.) Any suggestions on good dive operations? What about the Durban Underwater Club? Many thanks in advance for any information on these or anything else you think would be useful in planning!

I am not a Durban diver, but I've done a bit of diving on the KwaZulu Natal South Coast (where Durban and Umkomaas are located). At the moment the weather in the Eastern part of the country, including Durban, is pretty wet and it looks like it'll be that way for a little while. According to the weather services should have started clearing up by the time you get there, but I wouldn't rely too much on that. But unless the conditions are truly appalling, dives should go ahead.
Durban diving is really exciting if you are into Tech wreck dives - dive schools are rediscovering the so-called Durban ghost fleet, but for recreational diving there are better options. I prefer Aliwal Shoal (in fact I love it there) and it offers some great reef dives and also a couple of interesting recreational wreck dives. (You guaranteed seeing interesting critters and one of the dives yesterday was in 27C water, with 20m+ viz and a lot of life including turtles, potato bass and rays). Diving there is done from RIBs and you would be part of a guided group. Conditions vary and it can get a little choppy, but is generally manageable. Currents can pump across the reef, but the skipper will follow the DMs buoy and the boat will come to pick you up. Just be aware that the RIB launch through the surf can be pretty dramatic. I am not aware of any snorkelling spots, but if there are the dive op will be able to direct you. I dive with Agulhas House and Dive Centre when I am there - they also provide accommodation if you require it.
If you are feeling adventurous, a little further south of Umkomaas is Rocky Bay where dives are done to Landers reef - the dives there are a little more advanced, but if you are up for that and would like to dive with sharks it is a great option. If you really keen on snorkelling, Blue Wilderness offers an option of snorkelling with sharks. Baited shark dives are run from Rocky Bay and Umkomaas and this a great time of year to dive with Tigers.
If you do get chance to go up to Sodwana, grab it - the diving there is really is quite special.

Hi, thanks, Gramscibeat, for the useful information. We tried Aghulhas House and unfortunately they're booked up. Are there any other place in Umkomaas you could recommend? It would be nice to stay at the same place we dive with, although we want to stay someplace reasonably nice. Thanks for any help!

It has been a while since I used any other operator in Umkomaas, but Oceanworx was pretty good and Aliwal Dive Centre has been recommended to me in the past. I think both offer packages that include accommodation but I have never stayed with either.
The weekend of the 22nd is preceded by a public holiday and is likely to be quite busy, so accommodation maybe a challenge. If your accommodation in Durban is already sorted out it maybe an option to remain there and travel through - its about a 20 minute drive.

Hi, thanks very much, Gramscibeat. We are now booked to stay and dive at the Aliwal Dive Center. They get good reviews on Tripadvisor, and I was glad to see that they were recommended to you also. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom