Diving in Réunion? Any advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alice Mutasa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have any advice about diving in Réunion or any of the other small islands in that area? Any recommended dive centres? (NB: I speak French so it doesn't have to be English speaking). Are there many big currents, being such a small island stuck out in the ocean? What's the main sea life there?

I've seen an old thread from 2012 which says that diving in Mauritius is better, but I like the idea of a little island, & maybe somewhere a bit less touristy than Mauritious. My aim is to go somewhere to totally relax; with lovely beaches & opportunies for lazing & snorkelling as well as diving. The diving only needs to be good, not necessarily the best in the world. NB: so far my 'diving bests' have been diving with manta rays & whalesharks around the Maldives, and anywhere in the Egyptian Red Sea.
Thanks for any advice / tips.

Hi Alice

Just to set things straight, Reunion is actually larger than Mauritius. Diving 'small' islands in the Indian Ocean would mean places like Rodrigues (which belongs to Mauritius) or Mayotte (in the Mozambique Channel).

I live in Reunion and have also dived in Mauritius, I would say that what you see underwater can be fairly similar. Here's a video which shows you what to expect: Smart Travels: Diving, Reunion Island. For photos see: http://www.rup.re.
Reunion, being French is more security conscious, and yes there are less tourists.
Diving in Reunion is mainly concentrated along the west coast - St Gilles or St Leu, with some diving possibilities at Etang Salé, St Pierre or Ste Rose on the south east coast.
What level diver are you? Due to French regulations even if you're a PADI Advanced Open water they won't let you dive on your own below 20 metres.
In St Leu we dive at Abyss, and in St Gilles at O Sea Bleu, but there are plenty of other clubs. St Gilles has a wider choice of dive sites, but St Leu is prettier underwater and has (even) less divers.
What time of year would you be diving?

Thanks very much for this info; for some reason I am not getting any email alerts when someone replies to my post!
I'm an experienced diver - PADI Advanced + Deep diver + Nitrox; 199 dives logged. Presumably the Deep diver qualification lets me go below 20 metres? (It should allow me up to 40, although I rarely want to go that deep). The nearest to Mauritius or Reunion I've dived is the Maldives.
I'm really looking for somewhere to have a relaxing beach holiday as well; the diving is important but it's not the only thing. I've had quite a lot of stress in my life the past 2 years so I'd really like to go somewhere I can lie on a lovely beach & read all day if I feel like it, & dive when I feel like it; so if either Mauritius or Reunion fit the bill that would be fine! I haven't decided on the time of year - sometime next year probably between about February & Sept/October? What time of year would you recommend? Are there any particular small boutique type hotels you would recommend on either island?
Thanks

Hi Alice,

I too am not getting e-mail alerts when someone replies to a post I've answered, so I've only just seen your message now.
Did you visit Reunion in the end? Did you like it?

Catharine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom