Diving in Tofo, Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aramil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there!

Going to spend a week diving in Tofo (Mozambique) by end of February, beginning of March 2015; and I wonder if someone could give me some recommendations for good dive centres within accommodation included. I'll be a solo diver.

Many thanks in advance
Antonio

Hi Antonio,
I dove with all 3 Tofo dive ops in March 2014. Diversity, Tofu Scuba and Peri Peri are all safe and professional operators. I usually decide on a dive op first and then book accommodations around the dive op. I chose Diversity for most of my dives and enjoyed them. A couple important differences to consider:

Nitrox + bottom time: Many of the best Tofu dive sites are 100 fsw/30m square profiles. Nitrox will increase your bottom time. Free Nitrox at Diversity and Tofu Scuba guarantees other Nitrox divers and a Nitrox guide. In Mar 2014 Peri Peri could not guarantee Nitrox tanks or a Nitrox guide.

Bottom time limits: Diversity and Tofu Scuba limit their afternoon dives to 45 min, while Peri Peri gives divers 60 min. All morning dives are limited by NDL.

Third dive options: All ops theoretically offer 3 dives a day but in reality it depends on how many customers are requesting an afternoon dive. I sometimes had to switch ops to do an afternoon dive. If a third dive is important to you make sure to request that when you book.

Number of divers on the boat - Diversity had the smallest number of divers on the boat when I was there (ranged between 7 and 4 and one day they took me out alone). If you like a smaller dive group, for the prime morning dives you have a better chance of that with Diversity. All ops had similar diver to DM ratios.

Weather cancellations: Generally if 1 op cancels due to sea conditions they all cancel. When I was there 1 full day and two half days of my 9 dive days were cancelled due to conditions.

The Estuary: If you like smaller animals, call or drop by TS and PP as soon as you arrive and find out if anyone is running a trip to "the Estuary". Trips have to be planned around the tides and other divers, but if you get on it early there's a good chance you'll make it. It's too shallow to dive, but was one of my favourite sites. Hairy frogfish, harlequin shrimp, seahorses, regular frogfish, juvenile fish, flying gunard, pipefish, etc. When I visited only Peri Peri and Tofu Scuba were arranging trips there with subcontracted guides.

Whalesharks: I wrote up my experience and that of two friends here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/africa/486370-recommendations-tofo-july.html

Re. accommodations and proximity to restaurants, most of the restaurants are on the south end in town, closer to Diversity and Peri Peri. There are also more accommodations options in that end. I stayed at Casa na Praia (Casa Amarela side) right on the beach and loved it (more info in whaleshark link).

If you are looking for budget accommodation, there are more options on the north end of the beach, closer to Tofo Scuba, including some backpacker lodges with private rooms. Tofo Scuba has a small restaurant and a few rooms since both are sparser at that end. For Tofu Scuba accommodations, make sure to make a deposit in advance. A friend thought he had a place booked but arrived to find out they didn't have a room for him. Everyone I checked wanted a significant deposit to hold a room.

Tofo Scuba does pick ups from the south end. I don't know whether Diversity or Peri Peri would pick up from the north end but you can ask. It's 10-15 minutes to walk from the south end to TS, longer with a large camera.

Other tips:
Marine Megafauna Foundation offers fantastic wildlife talks Mon, Wed and Fri at 6/6:30 at Casa Barry (far south end of beach). I had researched Tofo diving a fair bit and still learned about some rare animals I didn't know were in Tofo. Well worth the small donation they ask at the door.

Hotel Tofo Mar had a very popular half price happy hour on Fridays with live music and delicious fresh fruit cocktails.

Bring a hat. No shade on the RIBs and if you are at a deep or far site, SIs are on the boat.

If you are flying via LAM I would plan some buffer time into your schedule. I was stranded in Maputo overnight (not a scheduled stop in my itinerary) due to a LAM "mechanical problem". Veteran Moz flyers on the plane said it happens all the time. Some LAM flights left early (!), others left hours late.

One of the pizza places and one of the local Moz restaurants delivers if you are too tired to go out. Conventional wisdom is to head to Moz restaurants before you are actually hungry.

Let us know how your trip was when you get back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Baia Sonambula was actually my other top choice based on TA reviews. Stefanie was extremely helpful on email. I didn't go by in person, but I could see where they were from the beach.

Re. diving, I wasn't asked to make a deposit or prepay but I did tell Diversity what days I hoped to dive and how many dives per day I wanted in advance. I would check that the ops you're interested in have space for what you want to do. The Estuary trip (which changed my dive schedule) and two of the afternoon dives were booked in Tofo.

Forgot to mention - if you meant in your original post that you want to dive solo (as opposed to travel solo) I would also run that by the dive ops. All the Tofo diving I saw was group diving due to the profiles, vis, distance from shore, lack of SAR infrastructure and other boats nearby, etc. If any divers or buddy pairs were separated from the group they were considered "lost".

Very good to know. Many thanks again Natasha. I'll definitively share my experiences in Tofo with the forum.

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 07:33 PM ----------

Hi there again,

Checking the flight connections, the timings don't look like very good for the internal flights. Has anyone tried to do Maputo - Tofo by road?

Thanks!

FWIW when the group of 12 I was stranded with in Maputo finally decided - after hours of being led on by LAM that we were going to depart imminently - that LAM was in fact not going to get us out of Maputo that night, I floated the idea of chartering a vehicle as several of us had prepaid accommodation in Tofo and another group was supposed to be in INH for work. The dual citizen, Portuguese speaking MD who had worked for years in Moz said no way; it was too dangerous to travel that way at night. At that point fighting had broken out north of Vilanculos - not sure what the situation is now, nor what time frame you are thinking about.

Several past posters have done their own driving along the coast. Hopefully folks with more experience than I have will respond.

Checking the flight connections, the timings don't look like very good for the internal flights. Has anyone tried to do Maputo - Tofo by road?

---------- Post added January 16th, 2015 at 11:39 AM ----------

I should clarify that it was about 1-1.5 hours before sunset when I suggested chartering a vehicle, so we would have been driving some in the daylight, some in the dark.

Have you booked your international flight already? I flew into Joburg with a good connection for the LAM flight.

Hi again!

Double checking accommodation, I've been told that Aquatico Beach Casitas (Aquatico), next to Tofo scuba, it's fine too.

Would you have any info about them?

Thanks!

I stayed at Baia Sonambula run by the lovely stephanie and her boyfriend (sadly she was taken haha) best place ive ever stayed to be honest. Right on the beach with my own porch. I dove with Tofo scuba and I liked everything about them except the DMs.. They really race through the dives, theres almost no time to look around and get some nice videos off stuff u might see unless there is a manta, only then the DMs seem to stop. Im most likely going back to tofo in july for the humpback season this year, think im gonna try out diversity scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom