Cape Verde Diving - Your advice/information please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

indiedive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear all,

Do you have recommendation on certain islands in Cape Verde for diving? This is going to be my first time diving in African countries (usually I dive in South East Asia - like in Indonesia, the Philippines) and I am really curious..

I am thinking to dive in Sao Vicente Island. I am planning to dive there in the end of June to July.

Additionally I would like to combine it with Sal or Santo Antao. However I am not sure if there were easy transport for island hopping or flights.

Any recommendation will be highly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Hiya

I have lived on Sal, Cape Verde for the past 4.5 years where I have been teaching diving and so can help with any questions you might have. the main areas for diving are Sal and Boa Vista but there are options on the other islands. Santo Antao is lovely for diving as well. To get between each island you have to take a plane (except for Santo Antao, which is only accessible by ferry from Sao Vicente). I'm not sure which island you will be primarily based on but to give you an idea of flights I've put approx times below. I've listed as flying from Sal.
Sal-Boa Vista: 15 minutes
sal-Santiago: 45 minutes
Sal-Fogo: 1 hour
Sal-Sao Vicente: 45 minutes
Sal-sao Nicolau: 45 minutes
Ferry from Sao Vicente to Santo Antao: Depending on currents and wind normally about 1.5 hours

due to the islands being out in the Atlantic we have quite strong currents and sometime vis isn't great but I really enjoy diving here.

If you have any specific questions feel free to get in touch.

Vicx

Hi Vicx,

Thanks so much for the info! We went to Sal Island and really enjoy the diving there. Buracona dive was amazing! I love cave diving there and also in Palmiera.

I will post a report and images in Scubaboard soon. I am sure I will visit Cape Verde again in the future - I would love to dive in Sao Vicente and Santo Antao :)

cheers!

we also want to go there
but one of us wants only easy dives
no current and not deep
we also want to do walking on the island
can you tel wich island is best for ouwer plans ?
do you have a name of a diving shool ?

we also want to go there
but one of us wants only easy dives
no current and not deep
we also want to do walking on the island
can you tel wich island is best for ouwer plans ?
do you have a name of a diving shool ?

Hoi Willem,

Sal Island is pretty good for diving. It has current but bearable and usually the dive master will check first whether the current is too strong or not. I dive with Orca Dive Club in Sal island. It's German's dive school but they speak excellent English and bit of Dutch :) If you go to Sal, try one of their cave diving. But of course, if you feel comfortable by it.

It has some easy dive sites too - like Santo Antao wreck dive site, it's not too deep and no current. There were plenty of pufferfish there - like hundreds of them!

I wrote my diving experience in my blog - I really like the diving inside the Buracona Cave, that's the highlight of our scuba diving holiday in Sal Island. Here is some posts with images that I wrote on my blog: Cape Verde | indahs: dive, travel & photography

Fijne weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom