Tofo ( Mozambique ) in Early June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

el-gee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all

i am travelling on honeymoon to mozambique in the early days of June and am seriously considering some diving in Tofo.

online research shows me that this is likely the worse season, as it is neither whale shark season nor whale season, ie, it is whale season but really only the beginning.

so i was wondering if anyone here had been there at this time of the year, and, if so, what did you see?

Im interested in the megafauna/large pelagics part of it. If i dont see them, thats fine too, but id really like to set my expectations right, and when i ask the dive centres they all say sightings are good but unreliable, so that doesnt tell me much!

Many thanks

sadly, my only trip to tofo was out of season, july i think. it was a big disappointment, no large animals and the water was colder than i expected. 21 degrees as i remember. i was frozen in a hire wetsuit and ended up doing just one dive a day.

the reef diving was poor in my opinion. i know a lot of people rave about it, but i wonder if they actually dived in the same places!

i have no axe to grind. it was my own fault for going out of season, but i was in east africa at the time.

Thanks Andrew..
not encouraging, but i totally appreciate your view, as it is making me reconsider going there in june too...!
any other (good or bad) feedback out there guys and girls.?

While I haven't been to Tofo in July, that should be a humpback season with a reasonable chance of even getting them on scuba. I'm on the FB feed for Peri Peri Divers www.peri-peridivers.com (also highly recommended) and they had plenty of encounters during winter. As to diving in general, I couldn't disagree more with one of the earlier posters..i consider it some of the best diving I've done outside of Asia. Pelagics, spectacular reefs, and even rare macro (rhinopias, etc)...Tofo has a HUGE amount to offer and I'm not aware of any "off season" to dive there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom