Diving inZanzibar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for diving in Zanzibar? My wife and I are looking to spend a week at the end of July. Any hotels, dive center, etc recommendations would be most appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I stayed in kendwa, nice beach, and there's always a beach even at high tide which is an issue on other parts of the island. It gets less crowded the further north you go. Regarding diving: Mnemba. Don't bother with anything else, Mnemba was so much better than the other dives we did. If I could go back I would just dive 4 days at Mnemba. Visibility was as good as it gets, on one dive saw turtles, octopus, two sharks, and dolphins! The local kendwa dives had very poor visibility and very little sea life.

It's not so simple from kendwa because boats will only make the trek if there's a certain number if divers, but if you don't care about being in a speed boat I think it's pretty easy to find a wooden boats but it's a long day.

So all that said, if the focus of your trip is diving, stay somewhere on the north east where you can easily dive Mnemba everday. But frankly if your main purpose is diving you should go to Pemba or Mafia islands. If staying in Kendwa the north end of the beach is much quieter, there are some hostels further south that are nice to visit but we enjoyed staying at kendwa breezes. food was not great anywhere, we also visited nungwi which has lots of restaurants on stilts over the water, very pretty. and of course spend a couple of days in stone town wandering the streets, check out the nightly fish market for some food on a stick.

No doubt that the most famous dive spots are in north cost but south east is wortly to visit. A good place to be based is Paje, a little town where you have plenty nice hotels and you can move around the island easily . If you like to move spend couple days in north cost ( Nungwi)
dive from there Mnba island. And after move toward East ( Paje ) To dive few days from there too. Places I can recommend is Bucanner dive center in Paje and Red monkey Lodge.
Pemba is absolutly great and if you have the chance to spend few days there ( at least 4, such a long way ) check out Manta resort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom