Aliwal Shoal or Protea Banks - where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
:06: We are visiting South Africa coming september and want to dive either Aliwal Shoal or Protea Banks.

Can you help us make the choice? It would be nice if you would also tell us why we should dive the one or the other.

Thanks in advance!

ScubaWim:
:06: We are visiting South Africa coming september and want to dive either Aliwal Shoal or Protea Banks.

Can you help us make the choice? It would be nice if you would also tell us why we should dive the one or the other.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Wim

Met a South African diver last year in the Philipines who claimed that Protea Banks was the ultimate share dive - not for the faint of heart! Aliwoal Shoal is apparently a bit easier dive. I thought I read somewhere that you need a certain min number of dives before the operators take you to Protea Banks. If you have some time to spent I guess you can do both. Are you also considering to dive in Mozambique? Appearently is great as well - check www.diversityscuba.com for some background its in Tofu near the SA border.

Watch those tigers!

Groeten,

Arie

Bombarie:
Hi Wim

Met a South African diver last year in the Philipines who claimed that Protea Banks was the ultimate share dive - not for the faint of heart! Aliwoal Shoal is apparently a bit easier dive. I thought I read somewhere that you need a certain min number of dives before the operators take you to Protea Banks. If you have some time to spent I guess you can do both. Are you also considering to dive in Mozambique? Appearently is great as well - check www.diversityscuba.com for some background its in Tofu near the SA border.

Watch those tigers!

Groeten,

Arie

Thanks Arie for your reply.
Feel tempted to write in Dutch now :wink:
Well we may be doing both Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks, but I would love to read some description from someone who has been there (as a guest not as a diver selling trips...). Mozambique will not be visited this time due to lack of days off...

Protea Banks is definately thought of as more of a shark diving destination. There are Zambezi's (Bull), Tigers, Raggies (Sand Tigers),hammerheads, coppers etc here. Also a lot a game fish. You gotta have at least an Advanced Qualification to dive here since the dives are almost always over 30m+, with a strong current carrying you over the reef. Nitrox qualification is a bonus here to get the most out of the limited bottom time.

Aliwal also noted for its raggies over the sardine run period has a little more variety to offer. Here you'd only need an advanced to dive the deeper parts of the shoal and the two wreck sites in the area. Aliwal is a lot more colourful where you can pay attention to both big & small creatures.

What you could do is start in Margate, Ramsgate or Shelly Beach area (Shelly Beach is the launching point for Protea banks but these towns are about 5 mins apart and all have good accomodation choices.) then drive up to Umkomaas (About 90km north of margate) and dive Aliwal as well. From Umkomaas its a short drive to Durban where you can do some site seeing.

try this link maybe you'll find out more info http://www.divernet.com/travel/0800africa.htm

Protea Banks is definately for advanced divers, you need at least a advanced certification and a few "deep" dives (30+ meters)

I agree with "stallions" comments from the previous post

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom