Dive operators in Sodwana Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjongene

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am going to South Africa over the winter holidays, and our trip includes three nights at Sodwana Bay Lodge. Of course, I hope to get in some diving :eyebrow: . I want to make sure that we use an operator who will meet our expectations.

My son and I are both relatively experienced divers (250+ dives), and while we appreciate being briefed in a professional manner, we want to avoid ending up in a crowd of beginners or under the constant "care" of a DM. We also want to make sure that we will be able to dive the most interesting (as opposed to the easiest) dive sites.

Any advice on operators appreciated. If the lodge runs a good operation, all the better!

I have used Coral Divers at Sodwana often and have had great experiences with them. Sodwana is a great dive site, enjoy!

As far as I can remember from my last visit to Sodwana the lodge has an excellent charter operation .I'll make a few phone calls and post again .

Safe Diving

Andrew

When I dived Sodwana last year we did our dives through Coral Divers, and found then to be very professional and really enjoyed our dives.

As it was not a very busy time of the year when we were there, they were very accomodating with regards to diving specific sites that we wanted to dive. We were also lucky enough to see dolphins on the way back from one of the dive sites and the skipper stopped the boat and let us get off to snorkel with the dolphins - awesome experience!!

Enjoy your trip!

Sodwana Lodge Dive Center is a good operator. We have used them as well as Coral Divers and both are proffesional.

The only issue is that you may end up on a boat with students if it is a busy time.
What we normally do is agree with the skipper to use our own surface marker which allows my buddy and I to do our own dive.
Most skippers do not have an issue with this if you are experienced enough.
This will depend upon the conditions - if there is serious current you will not be allowed to do this, but will have to stay with the group.

I can suggest both Coral Divers and Triton Dive Charters, both are professional and provide great service. We make use of them regularly when we take our clients to Sodwana Bay.

Coral Divers are the ones for me whenever I get to go there. In addition to the diving the accomadation isn't to shabby either

SA-Diver:
Sodwana Lodge Dive Center is a good operator. We have used them as well as Coral Divers and both are proffesional.

The only issue is that you may end up on a boat with students if it is a busy time.
What we normally do is agree with the skipper to use our own surface marker which allows my buddy and I to do our own dive.
Most skippers do not have an issue with this if you are experienced enough.
This will depend upon the conditions - if there is serious current you will not be allowed to do this, but will have to stay with the group.

Thanks for the tip. We will be staying at Sodwana Bay Lodge, so it would indeed be easier to dive with their shop. We'll be sure to pack our own SMBs and reels.

A few people have mentioned "busy times of year" at Sodwana Bay. I'm planning on being up there this year from 24-28 October; is that a busy time of the year?

Try and get out to 5, 7 and 9 mile reefs. Will definitely be less crowded than 2 mile.

Back
Top Bottom