Just got back from diving Aliwal Shoal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2godeep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just a little report - We dove with Aliwal Dive Charters. The surf was big and it was a white-water thrill ride out to the dive spot--lots of fun, although most of us ended up with sore arms from holding on for dear life! But the skippers were excellent, and we felt totally safe.

As for the dive--WOW! Dolphins, sharks, manta rays, turtles, huge stingrays. All up close, too! I don't think I've ever enjoyed my dives so much! And that's saying a lot!

Aliwal Shoal is one of South Africa's top dive sites.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much love2godeep, so when you coming back for more :p

love2godeep:
Just a little report - We dove with Aliwal Dive Charters. The surf was big and it was a white-water thrill ride out to the dive spot--lots of fun, although most of us ended up with sore arms from holding on for dear life! But the skippers were excellent, and we felt totally safe.

As for the dive--WOW! Dolphins, sharks, manta rays, turtles, huge stingrays. All up close, t I don't think I've ever enjoyed my dives so much! And that's saying a lot![/QUOTE

That ride is quite something eh?In Sodwana it's even better,they "land" on the beach at the end of it.:thumbs-up

I must go back and dive my own country

Amongst the regulars here, we generally agree that the best part about diving on the Shoal is the boat ride :)

It is wild and a whole lot of fun - particularly coming out the river mouth and punching through the surf! The side of the rubber duckie that you sit on can be a critical choice (dry versus sopping wet).

Got a chance to dive Sodwana last weekend - it is wonderful, but very calm compared to Shoal diving. I missed the adrenaline rush - on the bright side I got some of the best photos I have ever taken!

Diving in South Africa is fantastically varied - gotta love it.

Cheers,

Andrew

Beppe:
That ride is quite something eh?In Sodwana it's even better,they "land" on the beach at the end of it.:thumbs-up

I was at Sodwana last year. Yes, the landing may have been a little more intense at Sodwana; not sure. Anyway, it was piles of fun, even if I didn't know any better and sat on the wrong side and got drenched--then I had to sit on the wet side again coming back in order to even up the muscle stress.

The only thing about it--you actually feel kind of tired by the time you get out to the shoals, and then there can be quite a current to fight on the way down.

Still, it was great!

Beppe, do you have any good diving in Catania? I've always wanted to go there, but so far have only made it to the Amalfi Coast a few times (for vacations, not diving). I've yet to do any diving in the Mediterranean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom