First Liveaboard - Palau Aggressor - Questions about reef hooks, Lifeline, etc...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tendi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is our first liveaboard so any advice is appreciated!

We're finding we have a new list of items to buy we've never used before.

Reef Hooks - Does anyone know if the Aggressor has reef hooks they pass out or should we bring our own? After some research, it looks like the reef hooks with the Master Clips are the way to go but I can't find anyone currently selling them. Example: http://www.leisurepro.com/p-aqurhsm/trident-stainless-reef-hook-50-line-master-clip

Lifeline - Seems like a good idea but I'm not sure we need them for every trip. Do they pass them out? Have them for rent? I've heard some boats give them to all divers.

I'm having a hard time reconciling the fact that the food is fancy but T-shirts are ok. Does everyone really just wear T-shirts? I'm excited for easy packing!

Is the current really that strong? We've been in pretty swift current in Coz and other places. I'm not really sure how to gauge this but just curious what everyone has to say.

How often is there a chance to get off the boat(other than diving)? Never being on a Liveaboard, I'm slightly concerned I may feel trapped.

It was a bunch of years ago when I did the PA, but FWIW they loaned us reef hooks and had ziptied some kind of locator device on our BC's practically the moment we put them on a tank. I don't see any mention of reef hooks, but their gear rental page lists Lifeline rental for the week for $25. I wouldn't be surprised if they either loan reef hooks or have them for sale on board, good thing to ask them.

I don't know that I would call the food fancy, I guess it depends how you define that. But in any event yes t-shirts are standard attire, like pretty much any dive liveaboard. They won't bat an eyelash if you wear a bathrobe for that matter. There is no dress code for guests other than avoiding wet bathing suits on the furniture and wetsuits inside anywhere. (You may see crew in uniform at certain times but there's no expectation to follow suit. Most of the times they'll be wearing t-shirts too.)

I don't recall getting off the boat except to hike up to jellyfish lake the last day to snorkel. People may have occasionally swum over to a nearby beach. Worrying about feeling trapped is common, I had the same concern before I did my first liveaboard. But you'll probably discover you don't feel that way at all once on the boat. There's a variety of places to hang out and you'll be busy with the whole eating-sleeping-diving thing.

The current varies. It actually wasn't very strong much of the time when we were there, which was not good for stuff like shark sightings. But it can be. I haven't been in Coz to compare. As you say, hard to gauge.

Actually clipping the hook to you while you're hooked into something can be a bad idea in a strong current, as it can be difficult to detach. I seem to remember a rudimentary loop or handle on the ones they loaned us.

I have never been on the PA (much to my dismay!) but I have done more than a dozen liveaboard trips including 4 aggressors and 1 dancer trips - and the clothes are very casual. The tendency is to over-pack but try hard to resist that urge. If you bring only half of the clothes you want to bring you will still have over-packed! Many don't wear shoes (except booties) the entire trip and tee-shirts, shorts, swimsuits, and cover-ups are the most commonly worn apparel. It wouldn't hurt to have 3 to 4 swimsuits and at least 2 cover-ups but you won't need many "real clothes". And don't bring a lot of make-up and styling products because nobody bothers and nobody cares. It is difficult to find room to store all your stuff in the cabins on liveaboards so try to pack light! Have fun, it sounds like a great trip!

Here's a great post by RJP about what to expect on a liveaboard dive trip:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/li...board-what-consider-expect-2.html#post7225981

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure how I missed the Lifeline on the rental gear list. Looks like that is the way to go!

Detaching in swift current is my concern and the reason we were looking at the Master Clip.

I'm sure I'll still over pack but I think I'm getting a better idea of what we need. We'll also be spending 4 days on the mainland so that might justify 2 pairs of flip flops instead of 1. :wink:

Shorts and tee shirts are the common dress on board. On most cruises, you will have a couple of chances to get off the boat, Jellyfish Lake and if you choose, an optional land tour at Peleliu.

As far as reef hooks, they provide them if you don't have one and will brief the group on usage prior to diving the hook in sites. The dive masters do a very good job getting people in line on the edge of the drop offs so once you are hooked in, you inflate your BC a little and the current will fly you off the reef. When it's time to unhook, deflate your BC, pull yourself forward using the line attached to the hook and release the hook from the reef.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/woodiver15/sets/

Hi Tendi; I'm not sure when your trip is, but you are going to have a blast!

We sailed in February. Everyone was provided a reef-hook to "borrow", and each buddy team was 'furnished' with a lifeline.

(The reef-hooks they provided were a foot or so longer than those that we brought with us -- so we used theirs.)

Captain Ike and the crew are absolutely amazing -- and will help you feel comfortable throughout the trip (just like every other Aggressor/Dancer we've been on). Keep you ears open during the dive briefings, and ask questions if you have any -- be comfortable and have fun.

I second KathyV's advice on packing; After you exit the water, head to your cabin, put on a dry swim suit and your 't-shirt of the day' (that goes from breakfast to lunch to dinner -- really). So 4 swimsuits, 4 t-shirts, 2 pairs of shorts and whatever shoes you wear for travel is all you'll need -- really. You might consider a hat and/or a windbreaker for the skiff rides just in case -- to keep warm if there happens to be any wind).

Woodiver has great advice how to unhook--you'll get it no problem. There are some videos on YouTube as well. The current can be a little much only at times -- but don't fight it -- everyone is moving just as fast, and the crew provides great guidance when and where to hook, unhook, and they have their eyes on all the divers, and will be there to assist-- in our experience at least. Maybe if you have a camera, don't take it the first time you hook off -- so you get the hang of things-- there will be plenty of opportunities for reef-hooking pictures and video. In addition to the reef-hooking the drift dives and manta station are absolutely fantastic. We're going back.

I hope you have a GREAT time, and I hope you will post a trip report here!

Everyone's advice was right on. They gave us reef hooks and lifelines. Everything about the trip was great!! We are "hooked" on liveaboards now. Next....MALDIVES!

Everyone's advice was right on. They gave us reef hooks and lifelines. Everything about the trip was great!! We are "hooked" on liveaboards now. Next....MALDIVES!

Were the lifelines per person or per buddy team?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom