Cayman vs Turks and Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did the Cayman Aggressor, which had a great crew, however due to weather conditions we were stuck diving Grand Cayman the whole week which was not very good to me. My wife did not enjoy it as well as other trips either. I have heard and read that the diving around the other islands is good, just not on Grand Cayman. I don't know about the Aggressor boat in the Turks and Caicos but I do know the diving is good with lots of large peligacs and all the walls you can stomach.

I have a home on Little Cayman and am out diving from shore every day during the January-March timeframe, every year. Thus I get to watch the comings and goings of the Cayman Aggressor very closely! They are on the north shore of Little Cayman for 3-4 days each week when the weather permits, without fail. If the weather is too rough, you really don't want to endure the crossing from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman, and I would say that happens on average about once a month. This year I noticed that the Aggressor divers seemed to be diving in a large group, but in previous years I often saw them with only a few divers in the water, very much off on their own. In other words, I don't think the crew is extremely controlling. I've talked with a few divers on the cruises, and they have always been extremely happy with the boat, the crew, and the way the diving is managed. Thus my impression is that they run a top-flight operation. If I were you, I would go with Cayman Aggressor and just hope for good weather. The diving in Little Cayman is the very best the Caribbean has to offer.

Thanks for the useful info. My question is will the Cayman Aggressor make the crossing with 10-20mph winds? Looking at the forecast starting Sept 20th and looking pretty windy. Their reservation agent only says if too windy will not make the crossing but what is too windy? Had more than my fair share of working on liveaboards on getting tossed around. Haven't been to the Caymans yet so definitely do not want to miss diving Little Cayman. Lucky you…a home there!

Would you suggest waiting till Nov or Dec?
Thanks!

I have been on both and liked both. I went on the T & C Aggressor in late April-early May and while it was cloudy most days, the diving conditions were excellent. Lots of coral and big and small fish, including over 100 sharks during the week. Lots of wall diving with superb visibility. Great night diving. The crew, led by the attractive Capt Amanda Smith, were superb and I consider them the tops of my 17 liveaboard trips to date. 4.5/5

I went on the Cayman Aggressor in January and while this is not the best time to go, we managed the crossing and did 5 dives along the Bloody Bay Wall. The diving conditions were just as good and while coral and small fish matched Turks & Caicos, the Cayman Islands were nowhere close for pelagics, particularly shark sightings. The crew were very good but not 'special' like those on the other boat. 4/5

IMO, Turks & Caicos won over Cayman Islands for overall experience but comparisons apart, they are both great liveaboard trips.

Back
Top Bottom