Newbies are getting "blooded"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
With -70 in the area and -45 here at the house a lot of the newer folks are getting a real good indoctrination into a True Interior Alaskan Winter. The roads are starting to get littered with broken vehicles. Folks are learning to dress more warmly.

But, the unconcious or stupid, few are still refusing to turn on their headlights; even when the ice fog has visibility down to about a car length!

According to the weather guessers there is no end in sight. At first they said we should get some relief by the weekend. Now they aren't so sure.

I knew I should have settled in Ketchikan!

I am so tired of this cold snap!! I can't wait for some warmer weather! I can't believe how some people drive up here though. It's ridiculous. They drive like there is good visibility and the roads are dry. All I know is that it really starts to piss me off when multiple people nearly clip me or run me off the road within only a 10 minute time span. Is there really that much need to rush?

Better you than me..I cant even imagine -70! That is no cold snap....:confused:It was 68 here in Northern Cal yesterday...sorry had to throw that in:11:

Wow! Damn that's cold! And I've been complaining about the single digit temps here in CT?
I think if I lived up there I'd be mounting a rather sturdy front bumper to my pickup just in case one of those morons hit me.

Yikes, I remember -61:shakehead:.
Interior, where?
Been diving lately?:D

Wow! Damn that's cold! And I've been complaining about the single digit temps here in CT?
I think if I lived up there I'd be mounting a rather sturdy front bumper to my pickup just in case one of those morons hit me.
Funny you should mention that. Driving around Girdwood on what was (then anyway) more like gravel paths in the summer, in a very heavy snowfall year, it was much like being in a exceptionally high walled labyrinth, except everything was a stark white.

Probably couldn’t have opened the passenger side door, I was scooched over so another car would be able to pass by, creeping forward into an intersection sort of testing gently for any oncoming traffic with the window down and listening, you had to be in the intersection to see anything. Heard a vehicle so backed up leaving plenty of room in case they turned in and patiently waited for them to pass.

My British Leyland Land Rover was the barest skeleton single wall aluminum sheeting tacked onto frame, the odometer hit a number and had not moved for years, pretty deluxe though with a roof and doors. Had the chains on to slam thru the 4’ berm the plows loved to leave at every cross street and driveway.
My Ex was going to put a winch on the front so took off the bumper and constructed a replacement out of what was handy but never got around to the winch part. So there I was with 1" steel plate welded to short section of 1" steel plate on 3" steel tubing sticking a foot out in front with some 1/2" thick steel angle reinforcement. He tended to over building things.

The very high end sleek and shiny new Mercedes came flying up, whipped a turn smack into me, a precision head on. I felt a good thump like I’d found the wall kind and the driver did a good impression of the crash dummy getting whip lash as the hood accordion crumpled. The driver started yelling mad as hell, “You are in the road!” Duh. What are you doing there?!” I wasn’t sure how to answer that, I thought I was on my side of the road waiting at an intersection for a clear roadway. What did it look like to them? They seemed ok so I stopped trying to stifle my laughter.

They were out of the car by now (still yelling) so I got out, we both arrived at the contact point, turned in unison and viewed my bumper jammed down the throat of his Mercedes. It was quite impressive. I could see no apparent damage to the Rover’s steel bumper but I couldn’t see the winch bed or any of its frame. The Mercedes was an altogether different story.

After a moment of dead silence, the yelling switched to full on fury screaming complete with spitting and was a lot of repetition of, how dare you have THAT thing for a bumper!, What RIGHT! What is WRONG with you! Every time they got to, I’m calling the COPS and have you ARRESTED!, I couldn’t help it and burst out laughing my head off.

Pretty sure he was home, I offered to call the Trooper and went to Ron’s house around the corner. When I came back the driver wanted to know in no uncertain terms, did I call two tow trucks? Well, there was only one for 40 miles or so and anyway, I didn’t need one. They seemed to take this as rude. I was feeling a bit menaced and I couldn’t go anywhere until that idiot got his car off my bumper so I got back inside the Rover to wait for the Trooper.

The Trooper showed up and the driver came flying at him with renewed vigor, ferociously pointing his fist at me, screaming, ARREST that BUMPER! LOOK at what SHE DID to my car! (car being more of long dawn out wail.) The Trooper was still in his car but I could see him bust out laughing along with me.

I got out and we exchanged pleasantries before he calmly asked the fuming driver, So, how are you getting your car off her bumper?

RedRover: That is a great story! It fits the area just fine!

Diving? As a matter of fact I was in Kona last month. I had been diving with my favorite shop over on Oahu and the Big Island was my wife's snorkel time. I did beg a night to go to see the mantas. The shop said they would take my money for the night dive but they said that early in the year it was problematic that I'd see a manta. Another diver in the hotel said he'd just been out and there was nothing. So, no diving. Snorkeling was great though. Much better than Oahu.

Great story redrover.
Some people just don't get it. :D

I has a 54 Willys wagon when I was in Idaho. Had a massive front bumper weldment.
On top of that were the 5.10 gears and it would push darn near anything.

Now I am just kicking back in Houston (yes ALASKA). :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom