Anc to Cun sticker shock!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last year around this time I bought tickets from Anchorage to Cancun for around $650. Which was a great deal since I was using the Alaska Airlines Visa companion ticket so I got 2 tickets for about $800. The trip was in January. Just went looking for tickets for this January again and they are in the area of $1300!

I just wanted to commiserate with others who are also getting sticker shock for their annual winter getaway to the Cenotes.

I'll hopefully be shopping for similar tickets soon, just from Ketchikan. I guess if I get them soon enough, I can use 30,000 miles to cover one way then just pay for the trip back, which is around $550 last I checked. Wish I had 60,000 miles!

When are you hoping to be down there? If my leave is approved I'll be in Coz from the 28th of Dec - 4th of Jan, then in Akumal through the 11th, with the family and sis's boyfriend (luckily he dives!)

Yeah, I have tons of miles but I don't want to waste them on such a short (and usually cheap) trip. Maybe Alaska Air will have a special winter sale like they usually do and the price will drop a little. One can hope :)

In the meantime, I have Yapta and Farecompare tracking the movement of the flight I'm interested in so I know when and if the price drops or rises.

Hawaii is half the price of Cancun but they have no caves...

Cost me $500 to get there in June. $878 to go in November. Ouch!

Wait until the PFD sale in September/October...

-B

I forgot about that. I've never taken advantage of it--unbelievable isn't it?

How much cheaper do you think it'll be?

Neither have I... how flexible is it with regard to dates? I had my leave approved for the Dec/Jan timeframe I wanted, so I will be flying down to Coz on the 28th (maybe the 27th) and coming back on the 10th. Current plan is to use the 2 1 way ticket method I already mentioned, but if the PFD sale will be almost as good, maybe I will wait. I just don't want to lose out on the award ticket!

Glad to hear our PFD is going to be $$$ this year :)

I bought a RT ticket to Cabo in June 2007 for $478 from Dutch Harbor on the PFD sale... it's $2300 now.

The deals weren't that good last year, but it's a significant savings. There are only a few PFD tickets available on each flight, so it behooves you to move quickly when its announced.

Don't forget about the AlaskaAir Visa companion fares either...

-B

The companion ticket is the way I think I will go. First class going down and coach coming back on the dates I'm considering comes out to the same $1300.

You really have to play with those fares. I don't want to connect in Lax and I just want one connection (SEA), so I can't wait for a PFD sale because I suspect that they will be on the long flights going through LAX.

That's quite a savings on the PFD sales... I'm tempted to wait for it, but I don't want to miss out on being able to get a 1 way award ticket with 30,000 to CUN by waiting too long, or if the PFD sale isn't as good... hmmm....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom