Diving Glacier Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I tried searching for Glacier Bay but didn't get any results back. We're planning on visiting some friends (who dive wet) on their sailboat this summer when they are cruising in Glacier Bay. Is there any diving up there, and is it worth bringing dive gear and drysuits when we come to visit them? What is there to see? And how cold does the water really get? My wife thinks I'm nuts for even considering it, but it's probably the only chance I'll have to dive in Glacier Bay off a sailboat anytime

I tried searching for Glacier Bay but didn't get any results back. We're planning on visiting some friends (who dive wet) on their sailboat this summer when they are cruising in Glacier Bay. Is there any diving up there, and is it worth bringing dive gear and drysuits when we come to visit them? What is there to see? And how cold does the water really get? My wife thinks I'm nuts for even considering it, but it's probably the only chance I'll have to dive in Glacier Bay off a sailboat anytime

I don't know about diving Glacier Bay, you might want to contact the Glacier Bay National Park to find out if they have any information. Lots of coastal Alaska bays have great diving if you can get to them. Logistics and cost seem to be the limiting factor. Drysuits are pretty much standard up here, although some diehards may dispute that point. You may be bombarded by steller's sea lions near a haulout and they can be quite aggressive and very big. If you dive in California you will be familiar with some of the sealife, its just shallower and bigger up here. Lots of anenomies, kelp, rock fish, inverts, etc. The Inian Islands near Glacier Bay have some great dive spots. I spent two days diving the Inian Islands with Nautilus Explorer a couple of years ago. Diving off a sailboat is an art at best, so consider it carefully when you factor in drysuit and weights and the narrower beam, higher freeboard, and limited storage space on a sailboat.

Checked with a friend at work. There is scientific diving that takes place in Glacier Bay by the NPS.

You"ll want to contact NPS if you are actually going into the park. Water temps around Juneau in the summer are mid 40 to 50 degrees. Been a long time since I was in GB, but you might run into some silt from Glacier run off, suppose it depends on where you actually dive. Covediver is right about the sea lions, they are a curious creature and can be a blessing or a curse. Take your camera, and good binoculars, never have done any diving from a sailboat, so good luck there.

Thanks for the fast replies! We've dived off their boat several times in the past, and usually put everything in their Zodiac and dive in and out from there. Mid 40s to 50 degree water sounds tropical compared to what I was expecting

With all the snow hitting Alaska this winter, is Glacier Bay going to be frozen solid and snow covered by the time summer rolls around this year?

With all the snow hitting Alaska this winter, is Glacier Bay going to be frozen solid and snow covered by the time summer rolls around this year?

No, it leaves pretty quickly once warmup starts. It is a lot of snow over in PWS, but not all that extraordinary.

GB is going to be silly and there isn't a dive shop around. Im going to be working there this summer at the NP as a bio tech and i plan on doing diving around that area, but for clearer water (+10' of vis) you have to head to the ocean side where the clear water dilutes the suspended sediments. Alaska is strictly drysuit, a few nut heads dive wet and they switch to dry after a few dunks.

Reviving my thread from last year, because our friends never got their sailboat ready in time and took an extra year (they're still not ready, but definitely going this year). We're planning to join up with them some time in July on their boat for a week, once they get a cruising permit from NPS. Any update on recommendations since last year?

Tristan.ak - what was diving there like last summer?

Hey Geoff! I actually dove with you a few times at Pt Dume when I used to live in LA. I live in Juneau now, and if you are leaving for Glacier Bay from Juneau, and you want to do some practice AK dives in Juneau before your trip let me know. If you'd like I could keep you updated on water temps and conditions here in southeast ak, since you always did that in the socal forum. You might have some luck talking to Phil (907) 789-5115 at The Scuba Tank here in Juneau because he is one of the few true dive shops here in southeast Alaska. I did a little work for him this winter and just in that little time people from all over including Gustavus and Hoonah came in to the shop. If you call him tell him Jon B sent ya. If you have any questions let me know.

Hey Geoff! I actually dove with you a few times at Pt Dume when I used to live in LA. I live in Juneau now, and if you are leaving for Glacier Bay from Juneau, and you want to do some practice AK dives in Juneau before your trip let me know. If you'd like I could keep you updated on water temps and conditions here in southeast ak, since you always did that in the socal forum. You might have some luck talking to Phil (907) 789-5115 at The Scuba Tank here in Juneau because he is one of the few true dive shops here in southeast Alaska. I did a little work for him this winter and just in that little time people from all over including Gustavus and Hoonah came in to the shop. If you call him tell him Jon B sent ya. If you have any questions let me know.
Jonny - Yes, I remember when we dived Pt Dume, and it was a great dive! Juneau is a big change from So Cal!

What is diving in Glacier Bay like (besides the obvious answer of COLD)? Is there any visibility and much in the way of sea life? Are currents a big concern? I expect when we visit our friends up there on their sailboat, the most I would be able to get in terms of a dive would probably be one (short) dive, since our friends we'll be visiting are not into diving in frigid water. I'll check with Phil, too. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom