diving in Alaska or Yukon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba nube

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a friend heading up to Alaska, Yukon, and that area of the NWT this summer. Is used to cold water diving and wants a new experience, since there anyway. Any diving up there? Thanks

Not meaning to be rude but, Seriously, does Alaska have diving?

Alaska has some of best diving around everything is bigger in AK. but you have to be prepared it is cold, green water, even during day dives you want good lights to bring out the colors. Summer water temps expect 43 to 50 at depth and during the winter you can expect 36 to 43 at depth.

But we have great diving here . one word to remember. Drysuit.

Alaska is a BIG BIG state so for me to have any idea if I can give you a recommendation on a dive operator in Alaska I kinda need to know not just the general area you will be in but specifically what city /town

What you are asking is generally like asking I am going to visit the east coast who should I dive with.

Yes, Alaska has diving. Its a good question. When I asked the question of people in California and the Pacific Northwest before moving up here 12 years ago, all I got was "no one dives in Alaska." Boy, were they ever wrong and I am glad I did not craigslist my equipment before moving. That being said, this is a big state. Since you mention Yukon, you can get to Skagway and down to Juneau where there is some very fine diving. Sorry, dont have the number of a dive shop down there, but if you a looking for a liveaboard, check out the Swell part of the Nautilus Explorer organization.

If you find yourself in Anchorage, check out Dive Alaska at 907-770-1778 a full service dive shop with weekend charters out of Seward into Resurrection Bay. Talk to Scott at the shop. i did a lot of diving with them this summer and it is a great operation. You can shore dive in Whittier (a short drive from Anchorage) but conditions there can be a little variable in the summer with low visibility due to plankton. Another option is to take the water taxi out of Seward, get dropped off and do do shore diving.

There are other options, but i am not familiar with them so I won't say anything. You will like Alaska diving.

Thanks all. I recently saw some HD video of underwater Alaska, looks great! I passed this thread info onto my friend. I have no other info other than heading north. But she did get some good specific info from another site as well. So thanks for the input.

Another option is to take the water taxi out of Seward, get dropped off and do do shore diving.

Thank you for all the information in your post. I am looking around the US and Canada for future diving adventures and while AK is not exactly uncharted waters, it is close and am sure it would be fabulous; it is therefore on my list. I have a questions about this part of your post (quoted above). Do you mean, drive to Seward, then take a boat out and just stop on any shore and dive? Or did you mean take the water taxi TO Seward and shore dive within the town? The idea of just taking the boat to an unknown shore and diving adds to the adventure but I am not sure if that is what you meant.

Thank you for all the information in your post. I am looking around the US and Canada for future diving adventures and while AK is not exactly uncharted waters, it is close and am sure it would be fabulous; it is therefore on my list. I have a questions about this part of your post (quoted above). Do you mean, drive to Seward, then take a boat out and just stop on any shore and dive? Or did you mean take the water taxi TO Seward and shore dive within the town? The idea of just taking the boat to an unknown shore and diving adds to the adventure but I am not sure if that is what you meant.

I am sure that he meant to drive to seward and then from seward get a water taxi to take you to some of the area dive sites. I am not local to the north Alaska so i am not clued in on the hot spots but I have been in the area many times so I know you drive to Seward and then Boat from there

I am sure that he meant to drive to seward and then from seward get a water taxi to take you to some of the area dive sites. I am not local to the north Alaska so i am not clued in on the hot spots but I have been in the area many times so I know you drive to Seward and then Boat from there

Great. Thanks. So the "water taxi" is most likely a charter arranged through a shop then? That makes the most sense although the thought of just dropping anchor and rolling in anywhere really adds to the adventure.

Back
Top Bottom