Tool for removing an Apeks drysuit dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

altaskier

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wanted to swap out my Bullet skin for the Sport skin on my Whites Fusion drysuit. I had a devil of a time getting my Apeks dump valve unscrewed. Removal was impossible, it seemed! I found some words of wisdom on a Yorkshire Divers forum: "Last time i had it off my parts were stiff. After a while a large pair of plumbers grips were used. A good service was given and i finished off with some lubrication." However, the same web page showed a homemade tool, and it inspired me to create my own Apeks Drysuit Dump Valve Removulator:
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg
I am very proud of my invention; it has a long enough handle to give adequate torque.

I just wanted to post on this thread to say I took this very good idea and ran with it -- I bought a good, sturdy, wooden stirring paddle from a kitchen store, and installed short bolts in the flat portion of the tool, secured with nuts. It gave me a nice, long, round handle to use for leverage. It worked great! Thank you very much for the removulator idea; we were getting nowhere with pin spanners and other things.

Nice. I had given up on getting mine free but I'll give it another try with a removeulator!

mine was hand tight same on my brothers TLS, you don't need any tool

Neither my very strong son nor I could unscrew mine by hand when I first got my drysuit. Toshas79, don't assume that your experience speaks for everyone ("you don't need any tool").

This may be an old thread, but it got me out of a jam. Thanks for the pictures of your tool :wink: . My dump valve was dumping around a half gallon of water into my suit on every dive. This became quite unpleasant while hanging on the deco line in the great lakes. I couldn't figure out how to take the stupid valve apart until I came across this thread. I made a copy of your tool, and viola. I found the diaphragm was poking through the wrong way in a couple spots. I straightened it back out, and hopefully the next dive will be dry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom