Heated Vests - anyone tried the Wireless Thermalution - Yellow Grade Plus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goodt_go

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a PNW cold water diver and am always cold even in the summer time. I have the Whites Thermal Fusion undergarment with Whites Fusion Fit dry suit and dry glove system. I have the MK2 thermal socks I wear over my ski socks and have a fleece layer over my Nike cold wear thermals. I am STILL cold on every dive. Over the winter I am shocked if I can dive for an hour. I was looking into heated vests and came across a post on this board from about year ago where a rep from Heated Wetsuits | Less Wetsuit... More Warmth! posted about their products. I am VERY interested in the wireless thermaluation as you can dive it wet or dry and no external battery however I wanted to see if anyone had any experience (other than reps from the manufacturer) with this vest. I like the idea of having no external battery. I was looking into the UTD cummerbund as well cause you can also dive it wet or dry but then I need to mod my dry suit and again get an external canister battery which I already have for my dive light. I'd appreciate any feedback anyone might have.

My buddy has the utd system, I have the thermalution yellow TY. I got the TY because I didn't want to mess with yet more potential leak sources by having a wire through the suit. The TY takes the edge off, and heats up the back quite nicely, but just the back. It's roughly half the price of the utd system. the negatives: I found the wireless controller does not consistently communicate with the receiver. (I have a BP, doubles, stage, deco bottle so that may have something to do with it. I've taken the controller off my wrist and put it on a clip so I can clip it off, hold it in my hand and against my back. This is a bit of a nuisance but it works since I don't adjust the temp very many times during the course of a dive. Also, the receiver is a circular disk on the back. The doubles press against it which is noticeable and a bit of irritant, but tolerable. Lastly, I understand that when the battery dies in the controller, you can't replace the battery but you need to get a new controller. The utd system is more $, but the utd system distributes the heat to a wider surface area and keeps my buddy more comfortable. You do need to port the wire through your inflation valve. Also, the wire that connects to the heating vest can come off if it isn't positioned properly. In summary, both systems have advantages/disadvantages. While the TY will work, if you have the money, and you will be doing dives longer than 75 min in the future, I would suggest you don't get the thermalution, get the utd vest. There are other heating vests, that I understand are good too, but I don't have any intel on them. Hope this helps.

That is great information thanks! I ordered the yellow grade as I dive wet often times in CA visiting my daughter as well and wanted the flexibility. They did say with the newest version they have fixed most of those communication issues so I am hoping it will work for me. I JUST got it today - it's chargin right now! So excited to try it in Victoria, BC this weekend for our weekend away dive trip! :)

Ok so I have dove the Thermalution Yellow Grade and just LOVE LOVE LOVE it. There has been no glitches with the remote communicating, it is warm enough just on the Low setting, I have done a 73 min dive and then a 55 min dive and no issues with batteries going dead. The wireless controller on the wrist is awesome and easy to adjust. I even turn it off a few times during my dives since I get too HOT! I did have to exchange the size from a small to a medium. My hubby dove it on Monday night and he loved it too. The size was a bit snug for him but he said it was super easy to control. I do wish they had the wireless receiver not placed on the back cause after a few dives it does hurt a bit but I am hoping my muscle memory will kick in and that area will toughen up and I will not notice it as much. All in all I am totally pleased!

I also bought the Yellow Grade, will be in Galapagos this week using it, will gladly report afterwards !

You will be VERY VERY happy but please do let me know your thoughts! I can't wait to dive it again tomorrow night! I also am very interested to try it wet when we dive in San Diego as we often do since our daughter lives down there.

Glad you had no problems with communication! Yes, the heat is really nice and takes the edge off. Well, Im glad they fixed the communication issues. The only way I get consistent communication is either by wearing the vest back to front, or holding the controller and putting it behind my back.

Where did you get it from and when? If it's from heatedwetsuits.com just call Matt and talk to him. The vendor seems good about replacing what's not working!

OK. I live/dive off Vancouver Island. I'm always cold in the water. I dive a shell drysuit with Wheezles + and Wheezle socks plus a long sleeve polypro undershirt and wool socks. Drygloves (Skaana) plus fuzzy yellow liners. I'm STILL cold. Maximum dive for me was 70 min (Prism Topaz rebreather).

First I got a UTD (typoon rebranded) heated vest. I repurposed a Halcyon 18W HID canister with a new battery and added the "behind the inflate valve" bulkhead to the suit. It worked GREAT... until the salt water interacted with the wet-mate cord connect on a dive and corroded the connectors badly. Some TLC and I was able to get more dives out of it, but I'm not fond of the bulkhead NOR the wet-mate connectors.

So I bought a Thermalution RED heated vest. First dive I had the wireless on my wrist and nothing I could do would get it to turn on. Turns out the remote needs to be CLOSE to the back of the vest. Lots of folks here in Nanaimo dive the vest, but keep the remote on a light canister or else hold it behind their back turning it on. I'm not that nimble, but found that putting it on my backplate harness belt worked just fine every time.

Now I dive 90-100+ minute dives (in November & December & January so far!) without significant freezing. I start with it off, usually turn it on somewhere between 30min and 60 min into the dive. Start with low, go to medium if I'm chilled. I find all of me is significantly warmer during and after the dive with this vest.

Plus I really do like not having the bulkhead on my suit, and no wires to speak of. I don't notice the small batteries. The dive shop owner has been diving one for about a year now and no problems with batteries or the vest or control.

I'm definitely a happy camper with it. (Thermalution RED).

Anyone wanna buy a lightly used UDT vest? (I replaced the corroded cord but have not yet dive-tested the canister).

Where did you purchase your thermalution from? Let them know the issues with the remote connection as the manufacturer was replacing the faulty ones. Mine works perfect as its the newest version. Try that! Hope you sell the UTD! Did you post it? Also NWDiveclub.com has a for sale section to post items as well :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom