Lavacore vrs Sharkskin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you go with Lavacore also order two sizes bigger than what you wear. At least if you are female. My GF tried it and we went one size over the chart. The size chart is full of it. It's going back.

I have a single Lavacore garment, a long sleeve top, I used to dive in Panama. It was considerably warmer than I would have thought. It was entirely size appropriate for me. I'm going to take it down to Florida to wear under a wetsuit on cold days

Sharkskin is a much higher quality product. We had Lavacore seam separation and fabric pilling issues immediately. So far, the only problems with Sharkskin is that, in the latest batch, their logos are peeling off. You'd think that would never happen.

I like my lavacore. I have the hooded vest, the long sleeve shirt, pants and the hood. Holds up VERY well and quite warm (well for Florida). I have 200+ dives on most of it and no major sign of wear.

Never used Sharkskin, but I have pants, shorts, LS top, hood and socks from LavaCore.

Pants, hood and socks are new, but shorts and LS shirt are over a year old. Some slight pilling from BP/W strap, but otherwise has held up great. Highly recommended.

I wore Lavacore LS shirt, pant, and socks last February in Coz, I was cold most of the time. The grip on the socks peeled off both pairs of our socks after two days (worn in 3mm low-cut boots). Very tight when dry, too loose when wet. I wish they had put stirrups on the pants and thumb holes in the sleeves as the little elastic thumb loops are worthless.

For the high cost of the product, the product didn't meet my expectations. It may work better as an under garment but I doubt I would ever buy a full suit to use as a replacement for a 2-3mm neo suit.

One thing I did like was after wringing the water out, it was nice to wear on the boat ride back as it cuts the wind nicely. I may pack the shirt just to use as an after-dive top

Maybe Sharkskin is better, I have no idea, but I wouldn't buy any Lavacore products again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom