Why the push for i3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was flipping through a magazine recently and saw an ad for the new Lotus i3. I thought "That looks cool, I should look into that" and then found out that there's no standard inflator version of the Lotus, it's i3 or nothing, unlike the Pearl or Pro QD where there's standard and i3 versions. So how come there's no standard version? My consideration of the Lotus pretty much stopped there.

For now, I'll continue diving with one of my LDS's rental Pro LT's (no issues with it, but not what I intend to buy).

you can add a standard inflator to the i3 set ups.

ok, I see how you could do that, thanks for pointing that out. still seems like a bit of a waste to me if you don't intend to use the i3, oh well.

ok, I see how you could do that, thanks for pointing that out. still seems like a bit of a waste to me if you don't intend to use the i3, oh well.

i agree here...i went to the LDS intending to buy a balance and then, voila, the dimension i3 is sitting there for $20 more so i figured "why not?". great bc...just a balance with i3 IMO. i am still debating about adding the air source to it.

I was flipping through a magazine recently and saw an ad for the new Lotus i3. I thought "That looks cool, I should look into that" and then found out that there's no standard inflator version of the Lotus, it's i3 or nothing, unlike the Pearl or Pro QD where there's standard and i3 versions. So how come there's no standard version? My consideration of the Lotus pretty much stopped there.

For now, I'll continue diving with one of my LDS's rental Pro LT's (no issues with it, but not what I intend to buy).
I'm curious why you are turned off by the i3?

As an interesting side note, my children were certified using the i3 inflator / deflator. It is all they know. They love it! They're trying to figure out what the attraction of a traditional inflator is.

Tom Phillipp
Product Manager
Aqua Lung

Asking me why I don't want it doesn't tell me much about why a standard inflator isn't an option, except for possibly suggesting that standard inflators are going the way of the dodo bird with Aqualung. Saying your kids don't understand the appeal of standard inflators doesn't change much either, they can use what they are comfortable with, as can I or anyone else. Until i3 (or knockoffs) becomes standard across the board, or at least mainstream, I'm not particularly interested in it. Also I can't see it as something that would solve a problem for me or enhance my diving in any way.
So back to my original question: how come the Lotus only comes in an i3 version?

I just bought the Lotus i3 after being able to test a bunch of different BCs. I absolutely LOVE the fine control you can get from it. I like the idea of having things off my chest especially since I am usually carrying other equipment. I hated having to feel around for my hose, and now I never have to worry about it again. I suppose it doesn't answer the question of why they aren't carrying the alternative in that model other than that maybe they feel this is the most ergonomic setup, which is the reason I purchased this model. I can't wait to test everything out! Going to be taking it down to Utila for a 6 week research trip this July. Woot Woot!

Last edited:
With the push rods that activate all the valves at once and the check valves incorporated into the dump valves, doesn't that give the i3 many more failure points?

With the push rods that activate all the valves at once and the check valves incorporated into the dump valves, doesn't that give the i3 many more failure points?

maybe but i haven't heard about too many problems with "all these extra failure points" in the i3.

For safety sake, I'm a big believer in K.I.S.S. I love gadgets, but anything that ties several functions into a single common point of failure seems like a bad idea. For the record, I'm not a fan of the Air Source either. Especially when a LDS sells the new BCD without ensuring the purchaser and her buddy are fully familiar with the proper technique in use for OOA situations.

To the OP, the basic function of a BCD is the same for all manufacturers. If you want to capture market share, you must appear innovative. Doesn't make it better, just makes it different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom