Zuma with holes from abrasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trptman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I purchased my Zuma in February from my LDS and just got back from my second dive trip. After the last dive back at the hotel when I was cleaning my gear I noticed 3 small abrasions on the bladder - two of which have holes and are leaking air. They are very small, but it needs to be repaired or replaced.

Before purchasing, I had read several reviews that indicated that the bladder was not durable and subject to this type of leak but I went ahead anyway because I liked all the other features of this BC and thought that I could be very careful (like not letting others mount tanks on it, etc.).

I'm not sure how it happened or on which dive - it could have been on a dive boat, or being pushed against some rocks in some moderate surge, or slightly brushing against an opening on the wreck we were diving. In any event, I only have 11 dives on this BC.

What are my options for repair/replacement? I was going to check with my LDS this week, but I thought I would also check with you first. Once it is repaired or replaced, are there any optional cordura covers or something similar that I could add to protect the bladder?

Thanks,
Trptman

You are correct that it is a lighter weight fabric to keep it travel friendly but, even so, they do remain pretty durable. We have test units that have been in the field prior to it even going into production that now have over 200 dives on them and they're going strong. Of course, this doesn't help you. Holes happen. They could be from rocks, wrecks, urchins, etc. They may have even happened on the boat when you weren't near it. Regardless, they're usually not a big deal. Have your LDS take a look at it and give us a call. We'll explore some different options and see if it makes sense to patch or change out the bladder. The important thing is to get you back in the water as quickly as possible.

Tom Phillipp
Product Mgr.
Aqua Lung

Thanks Tom - I'll contact my LDS this week.

Tom,

Appreciate your quick response. I just bought a Zuma too, but have yet to use it.

Worst case scenario do you have a price range ( I know it will vary with LDS's) for changing out the bladder?

Also, any options on a field patch (me patching it) for any small holes?

Thanks.

Tom Phillipp. Not responding too quickly to this question...................................

Last edited:
Tom Phillipp. Not responding too quickly to this question...................................

:idk: I'm just an Aqualung user, but my LDS has always told me my Aqualung gear (including my 5/4 wetsuit) are guaranteed for life. I've never had to pay for any adjustment or repair (standard service parts are free, but the service labor isn't)
Your LDS may vary.

Post your question in a separate thread, so he knows its a different question :wink:

My LDS just called - my Zuma was returned from Aqualung where they replaced the bladder. Only charge to me is for shipping. I appreciate Aqualung's customer service!

Aqualung Zuma travel BCD lasted about 50 dives. The tank strap tore through the bladder and the stitching near the tank strap is failing. The chest strap pops off the rails and is easily broken. Aqualung seems to fix this on the 2011 version just be careful which version you buy.

Hi Barracuda Smile,
We're sorry to hear about your Zuma issues. The issues you are having in the area around the tank band and the chest strap were addressed almost immediately after the launch of the product two years ago. You must have a very early unit. Both items are easily resolved. Please private message me with your contact info and let's get your problems taken care of right away. A digital image would also be helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom