Mikron reg temperature tolerance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcfahy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The Mikron regulator is certified to a minimum of 10 degrees C. If a diver hits a thermocline unexpectedly at which T would the reg malfunction?

I'd had mine in water that was 54F without issue. I think 50F is the spec though. I spoke with my LDS about getting the seal to environmentalize it or using a Titan LX supreme first stage/mikron second stage combo, but a seal wasnt available in the same thread pattern for the mikron second stage and the Titan/mikron combo was way too expensive. I'll just stick to water above or at 50F.

Hi jcfahy,

The Mikron is a global product. The European Union requires that we designate it for use above 10 C so that we can sell it in Europe.

The 10 C / 50 F, is a rather arbitrary number that was selected by the certifying committee in the European Union. This is their "line-in-the-sand" where regulator models, which will be used below these temps, must be approved for cold water use by subjecting them to extreme cold water testing. The Mikron, being a travel regulator was never intended for coldwater use.

"At what temp will a regulator freeze at?" is one of the most frequently asked questions we receive. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as providing a number.

The reality is that the temp at which a regulator will freeze depends upon:

the design of the regulator
the settings (adjustment) of the regulator
the depth
diver's lung volume
breaths per minute
moisture content of gas in the cylinder
how the regulator was handled or prepared prior to submersion
diver technique

Two divers might go diving with the same model regulator in 40 F water. One may have a freeze up while the other doesn't. It all depends on the factors listed above.

The arbitrary guideline of 10C/50F is as good as any. If you will be diving in waters colder than this, it would be a good idea to use a regulator which is CE approved for cold. Some models good for cold include the Legend LX Supreme, Legend Supreme and Titan LX Supreme. For extreme cold (below 2C) as found at the poles, consider the Legend Glacia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom