Titan hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harleythedog

Registered
Reaction score
Is it possible to change out the hose on the new Titan (standard Titan, not LX) to other lengths ? I am under the impression that the second stage connector is bot the standard connector to allow for swapping of hose length. Could someone please confirm ? If so, are there any adapters to make it standard ?
thanks

You can put any length low pressure hose on the Titan that you desire. The connections are standard....

Hi harleythedog,
The latest Titan which debuted in 2010 has a unique tool-free connection between the hose and the 2nd stage. At this time, it only accepts standard hose lengths. If you need a custom length hose, I recommend that you consider either a Titan LX or an equivalent Apeks model such as the XTX20.

Why?? I tell all my students that Aqualung has been in business since forever and that I can use parts from the Titan to service my 1960s Royal Aquamaster. Why why why are you going to a proprietary hose fitting?

Why why why are you going to a proprietary hose fitting?

Because the stock holders are not making enough money! Duh. :D

The Scuba Industry has long mirrored the automotive industry, it is just 20 years behind. As the economy collapsed each manufacture began looking for ways to capture and retain the lions share. Unfortunately, the things that made them loved by the public are not the most financially rewarding for the company. As the auto manufactures have lost their way, so are the scuba greats. It is nothing more than a balancing act trying to provide something that will work and make the company lots of money at the same time. They just have not figured out how to make a one time use BC and Reg that is cheap enough to make 500% mark up, yet cost effective enough for the consumer to buy every day!:rofl3:

Hi Tom,
Good point although you can't use your older Titan's hose on a Royal Aquamaster:wink:.
But seriously, there are several good reasons why we went to a tool-free connection and none of them are mentioned in Hallmac's post.

As technology moves forward, several of the traditional brass parts have transitioned to composite materials such as the inlet fittings, crown orifices and even the swivel nuts on the hoses. These parts are lighter weight and corrosion free. One drawback however is that they can be over-torqued. The tool free hose fitting prevents over-torquing. No standard wrench or torque wrench required.
Also, the hose locks on so it cannot inadvertently spin off which can happen with standard models after corrosion sets in to the hose swivel.
Also there is a convenience factor for instructional situations and resorts whereas should a second stage ever leak or malfunction, the instructor or divemaster can perform a quick switch of the second stage in the field without tools.

Aqua Lung is not in business to sell hoses, rather we want to sell regulators. We strive to innovate and advance the art whenever we can. Some innovations go main stream while others do not. Time will tell. The important thing is that we keep trying.

Hi Tom,
Good point although you can't use your older Titan's hose on a Royal Aquamaster:wink:.
But seriously, there are several good reasons why we went to a tool-free connection and none of them are mentioned in Hallmac's post.

As technology moves forward, several of the traditional brass parts have transitioned to composite materials such as the inlet fittings, crown orifices and even the swivel nuts on the hoses. These parts are lighter weight and corrosion free. One drawback however is that they can be over-torqued. The tool free hose fitting prevents over-torquing. No standard wrench or torque wrench required.
Also, the hose locks on so it cannot inadvertently spin off which can happen with standard models after corrosion sets in to the hose swivel.
Also there is a convenience factor for instructional situations and resorts whereas should a second stage ever leak or malfunction, the instructor or divemaster can perform a quick switch of the second stage in the field without tools.

Aqua Lung is not in business to sell hoses, rather we want to sell regulators. We strive to innovate and advance the art whenever we can. Some innovations go main stream while others do not. Time will tell. The important thing is that we keep trying.

I think it's a mistake, I wouldnt buy the Apeks Flight or Titan based on the proprietary hoses. If travelling I can see a problem with hose availability. You are also stuck with the manufacturers prescribed hose length. I only hope this idea doesnt become mainstream. Seems like a solution looking for a problem that isnt really there. I garanty Apeks would have sold more Flights if they had come with standard hose fittings or at least the ability to choose.

So when will Aqualung be introducing these hoses to all their models and if not why?

Thank you.

Hi Buddahsummer,
I don't anticipate doing this on other models. It lends itself well to the entry level models (Titans and Calypsos)which are used in lockers and resorts. We appreciate your opinion as it will help us decide which way to go in the future. We can always change back if we need to.

Hi tphillipp, I just came across this thread in a search as I'm trying to change the hose on my Titan. It's the "new" Titan, but I'm having trouble changing the hose out. Could you point me in the direction to find out how? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom