Cost of Sync Cable for Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I do have to say I am a bit surprised about the cost of the sync cable for the Suunto Zoop. I could understand the cable being about 10% of the cost of the equipment, though 30% doesn't seem to make it all that worth it. I have no problem paying a higher price for a product my life depends on and that is designed to withstand higher pressures. I did buy AL Reg, BC, and Computer, though for a simple sync cable, when the software is already included with the watch, the price of a sync cable seems a bit much. If they lowered the price, I bet they would make more money quantity sold and on more people buying the watches as the sync cables wouldn't be all that expensive. I think AL has great value and quality in the stuff I have purchased from them, I just don't think a simple cable meets that value point.

-Hostage

When you realize that your life should never depend on any recreational dive gear, you may look back on what you have already spent with regret.

I agree that, from the perspective of the consumer, Aqualung/Suunto charges too much for the official download cable (approx. $99).
A cheaper, German-made alternative can be found on Ebay for approx. $50.

Frankly, it's fairly presumptuous for one to say what makes economic sense from the perspective of the manufacturer, though. Bear in mind that we don't have the economic info (cost to manufacture the download cable, current sales of the cable, projected sales of the cable, supply-demand curve) to determine whether Aqualung/Suunto could make more profit given a lower price-point.

Like awap, I believe that recreational dive gear is never stuff that your "life depends on."

I'm not sure a reg failure at 40 meters ~120 fsw wouldn't be dangerous, even if it's a "rec" regulator. Plans C and over (use the BC as an SCR ...) don't seem very reliable.
By the way, the Gecko (the DC which can not be officially connected to a desktop computer, but currently can be) cable is easy to build by yourself. I would be surprised if the Zoop cable was not the same.

Let me rephrase, I would prefer buying a quality item from a local shop, where I can get it serviced. As well as a item from a company that has been around for a while and should be there in 10 years. That is why I picked AL for most of my gear, they met my needs and also I it came in a package deal. I didn't mind the price I paid for the gear I use for life support, but paying for $75 for a dive knife, which is what the LDS wanted to sell me was also a bit to much, so I got some SS surgical sheers for a few bucks

If the cable was $10, I would buy it. $20 I would consider it. At current prices (even the cheaper alternative) absolutely not!

I just have a fundamental issue paying $99 for a cable that in all likelyhood has a manufacturing cost of pennies.

I'm not sure a reg failure at 40 meters ~120 fsw wouldn't be dangerous, even if it's a "rec" regulator. Plans C and over (use the BC as an SCR ...) don't seem very reliable.
By the way, the Gecko (the DC which can not be officially connected to a desktop computer, but currently can be) cable is easy to build by yourself. I would be surprised if the Zoop cable was not the same.

PC Interface for Suunto Dive Computer

Why does a unlikely regulator failure need to be dangerous? If you are a competent, qualified diver, you will be able to resort to your planned redundant gas supply and safely terminate the dive. You did have an adequate redundant gas supply, didn't you? Dangerous situations should only occur if there are multiple concurrent failures.

Why does a unlikely regulator failure need to be dangerous? If you are a competent, qualified diver, you will be able to resort to your planned redundant gas supply and safely terminate the dive. You did have an adequate redundant gas supply, didn't you? Dangerous situations should only occur if there are multiple concurrent failures.
So I guess your life will depend of your back-up "recreational" regulator.

First of all the cable was designed for the Cobra,Vytec and Vyper long before the Zoop came out.
Two if you look at it half price of the cable is for the software and the other half is for the cable.
For those of you making you own cable why don't you make you own software a well? After putting in he time and money how much does it cost you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom