Question about new legend regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am wondering if the second stage of the new legend regs can easily be opened by an owner "in the field" if necessary. I cannot seem to find any information on this. Can someone tell me the procedure if one needed to access the interior for some reason? It does not look like the faceplate simply unscrews.

Thanks

Hi jd950,
You are correct that the faceplate no longer unscrews. This is one of the many improvements to the new Legends. The front cover and exhaust assembly are held in place with a locking pin. Not knowing you or your abilities, I recommend that you discuss opening procedures with your Aqua Lung dealer. If they feel that it is appropriate, a demonstration would be worth a thousand words.

Mr. Phillipp:

Thank you for the information. I understand liability issues and concerns about a consumer possibly damaging a product by improper use or service, and that you might caution consumers not perform service on the reg themselves, but the procedure to open up a second stage does not seem like particularly sensitive information, especially in response to a question, so I am surprised that it wasn't explained, unless of course this is a particularly complex operation or one requiring special tools or training.

Unfortunately, when I was in the local Aqualung dealer recently and looked at this reg, the sales guy told me the only difference between the new Legend and the old was size and the only difference between the current Legend, LX and Lux versions was "cosmetic" (which is true of the LX vs. Lux but not with the Legend vs. LX.

I asked about the faceplate, because it did not appear to be threaded and he could not answer my question. I did not try to remove the faceplate on the display reg. I am not inclined to go back to the shop to ask him for a demonstration of a product about which he knows little. His inability to answer my question is what prompted me to seek the answer on scubaboard.

Perhaps opening up the second stage is either sufficiently complex that it cannot be easily explained, or requires special tools or entails an unusual risk of damage to the reg. I don't know, but again, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.

Hi jd950,
Sorry you had a negative experience. It maybe due the regulators just arriving at the stores and not all the staff being up to speed yet. Perhaps you can PM me where you live and I'll see if I can refer you to someone who can better assist you.

Thanks, I know of another shop that sells AL products, but they are not terribly convenient. I will just wait until there are some reviews and more information out there about these new regs unless something else catches my eye in the meantime. Thank you again for responding to my questions, I really do appreciate it when there is a way to contact a mfg/distributor for help.

Back
Top Bottom